-Caveat Lector-

Dave Hartley
http://www.Asheville-Computer.com
http://www.ioa.com/~davehart

GUARDIAN (London) Science Editor Thursday October 28, 1999

US cattle fed manure and wood shavings

What's wrong with our food? - special report Tim Radford,

Beef producers in the US still use poultry litter as stock feed.

The mix of chicken manure and wood shavings is, says the North Carolina
extension service, "an economical and safe source of protein, minerals and
energy for beef cattle". American farmers still also use bone and feather
meals to beef up output.

But in both Britain and France - and everywhere in the EU - such
experiments officially came to an end long ago, and European cows and
sheep are back on vegetarian diets. They are supplied with high protein,
high energy cakes and crunch bars made from apple pomace, bakery products
and barley, full fat soya, grape pulp and grass meal, maize gluten, malt
residuals, mango and manioc, sunflower, sweet lupins and sweet potato,
stuck together with minerals, molasses and vegetable oils of any
description.

Farmers need cheap food, so manufacturers use what waste products are sold
locally, and everywhere in Europe, the precise recipe for the cattle
equivalent of the crunchy cereal bar is slightly different.

Alexander During of Fefac, the European consortium of agricultural feed
suppliers in Brussels, said one thing was clear. "We have a ban on animal
protein throughout the EU. There is a total ban on mammalian meat and bone
meal for the whole of the EU. The one difference between the EU and the UK
and the rest of Europe is that, because of commercial pressures, the UK
people do not use tallow as an animal ingredient and have to replace it
with fat of vegetable origin."

Mike Evans, of the UK Agricultural Supply Trade Association, agreed that
French cattle diets are very like British ones. "They will use many of the
ingredients we use in the UK, which is why we are a little shocked at the
revelation that, allegedly, human and animal excrement had been used," he
said. "They most certainly use fat from rendering plants to provide energy
in the diets. We don't since BSE. We use vegetable oil, they use both."

Animal fats are a valuable source of high energy: if pure, they do not
contain the rogue proteins that have been fingered as the culprit behind
BSE or the new form of CJD which has so far taken 43 lives. So tallows
recovered from rendering plants go into French cattle feed. Most European
nations will also allow fishmeal as a protein source, and even poultry
meal, but the French have banned everything except hydrolised fish meal:
fish protein converted to a kind of Marmite. In Britain and other parts of
Europe in the 1960s and 70s, there were experiments with poultry litter,
town sewage sludge and farmyard slurry as sources of cattle feed. If
fermented, experts argued, these could provide safe supplements rich in
nitrogen. But the experiments "In this era, in this climate, it turns us
off to even think about it, but back in the 60s and 70s, things were
different, and it was all about cheap food policy and utilising materials
and nutrient value. I am referring to poultry litter now," Mr Evans said.

Mr During agreed. Neither human nor animal excrement was an acceptable
source of food for livestock. But he conceded that it might still be
possible in businesses where feed was mixed on the farm. Wheat straw is a
high fibre diet of low food value: if treated with ammonia, however, the
fibres break down to produce protein and carbohydrates.

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material
is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes. ***