-Caveat Lector-

On 30 Oct 99, at 8:06, Das GOAT wrote:

> Not an uncommon nightmare vision --Happy Hallowe'en, by the way!-- of the
> (possibly) true position of man on earth vis-a-vis "superior
> intelligences" in the greater universe. Sufi-inspired teacher Gurdjieff
> suggested as much in saying sagely, but darkly, "Man is food for 'the
> moon,' " indicating some "higher" realm that, for us, just signifies DEATH
> and could be perceived only as the rabbit perceives the wolf higher on the
> food-chain. Colin Wilson has dramatized a similar vision in works of
> fiction --in a whole "series" on this subject-- cinematically represented
> by "Lifeforce," although he has ALSO written a SERIOUS (?) essay arguing
> this possibility, imbedded in one of those "sci-fi" novels.  (In fact,
> Wilson takes Sitchin's OPTIMISM about "Nibiru" and stands it on its head
> ...)

Just to add a little bit to this, contrary to Christian teaching which
says that everyone has a "soul" which ascends to Divine Realms
or descends to Hell, depending on the individual's behavior in life
regarding good and evil, Gurdjieff (also drawing on Tibetan
Buddhism) taught that a soul had to be created by an individual
using conscious effort to do so. And that very few humans troubled
themselves to make that effort. He was the first teacher to offer
Westerners a method by which this could be done. It is in this vein
that Buddhists train themselves with an eye to achieving a
"conscious" death. In such training a "soul" can be created and in
a conscious death, that soul is released safely to its further destiny
and does not "feed the moon."And yes, both John  Lilly and Colin
Wilson can both be better understood through an understanding of
Gurdjieff.

Interesting to me is that P.L. Travers, author of my favorite books in
childhood, "Mary Poppins," was a practicing Sufi. Also Doris
Lessing, one of my later favorites.

Gurdjieff also put political unrest to seismic upheaval and said that
there was nothing to do but get out of the way. He also said that
such times were a gift to those who aspired to consciousness
since it created energies which could be used to this purpose by
those who knew how to use them. You certainly could say that
such a philosophy is elitist since, according to G and related
teachings, only one in a million would make the effort and create a
soul worthy of escaping a darker fate. However, the opportunity
was open to all.