-Caveat Lector-

If people would stop to think for a minute they would realize that an awful
lot of the foofaraw over "teaching sex" is totally absurd. How are the
schools going to *teach* masturbation? "Johnny, will you please come up
front and demonstrate for the class?" Riiight. Now, that approach might in
fact be more effective than the time-honored filmstrips shown by the boys'
coach in Hygiene class...but all of the discussion on both sides of the
fence manages to ignore the simple fact that *kids are having sex no matter
what you tell them in class*. The one thing to be said for live
demonstrations of sex (think "Monty Python and the Meaning of Life") is that
they would probably cause the kids to rebel simply because this is what They
are telling Us to do, and suddenly abstinence and virginity would be In.
What you've got now is adults yelling at each and burning each other's books
while the kids go off and do their, ah, thing unobserved.