From: Mark Keesee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=1999/10/29/94119

The Boys on the Tracks: NewsMax.com Interviews Mara
Leveritt

Wes Phelan
October 29, 1999

In the early morning of August 23, 1987, two teenage
boys died on the railroad tracks in northern Saline
County in central Arkansas. Close observers of Arkansas
politics quickly became aware that the official ruling —
that the boys passed out from marijuana intoxication and
were run over by a train — was highly questionable.

Over the years Linda Ives, the mother of one of the
boys, fought valiantly to expose the official cover-up
and find the truth about what happened to her son Kevin
and his friend, Don Henry.

The story of the boys on the tracks has received little
attention from journalists outside Arkansas. The major
exception has been Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, a reporter
for the London Telegraph. One section of his book, The
Secret Life of Bill Clinton, touched on the story and
its implications for Arkansas and the nation. That was,
until recently, the most detailed account of the story
by a professional journalist.

 Last week St. Martin's Press released a new book, The
Boys on the Tracks, by Mara Leveritt. Leveritt, a
contributing editor and columnist for the Arkansas
Times, has won many awards for her investigative
reporting. In the following interview with NewsMax.com,
Leveritt discusses some of the new information she
uncovered in the process of writing the book.

NewsMax.com: Why did you first become interested in the
story of the boys on the tracks?

Leveritt: It was a bizarre story from the very first. It
remains bizarre to this day. I learned a long time ago
that criminal investigations are supposed to follow
certain procedures. If those procedures are followed the
investigation moves along in an orderly and logical
fashion.

The more I learned about this investigation, the less
logic in it I saw. It followed a crooked path that led
in many strange directions. The further I looked at this
case the more curious I became. So I devoted several
years looking as far down that crooked path as I could.

NewsMax.com: Do you believe that at this point you know
what happened to the boys?

Leveritt: No. I do concur with the conclusion that the
Saline County grand jury came to in 1988, that their
deaths were associated with drug activity.

NewsMax.com: What is the biggest revelation in your
book, in your opinion?

Leveritt: I'd say there are three. One concerns the
FBI's highly unusual position in this case. Another
relates to what the U.S. Justice Department knew as far
back as 1983 about the drug smuggler Barry Seal. And the
third concerns some information about Bill Clinton, his
mother Virginia Kelley, and Arkansas State Medical
Examiner Fahmy Malak. It was Malak, of course, who
declared that Don Henry and Kevin Ives had smoked
themselves into a marijuana-induced stupor, and were
then run over by the train.

Virginia Kelley was a nurse anesthetist in a Hot Springs
hospital. There were two cases in which patients died
while she was administering anesthesia during an
operation. While the family of the first patient was
preparing to sue her, the second death occurred. The
body of the second patient, Susie Deer, was sent to Dr.
Malak for autopsy. Malak declared that Kelley was not
responsible for the death.

Kelley lost her job at the hospital after this and
brought suit against several of the administrators. In
the course of my research I uncovered a heretofore
unknown deposition she'd given in that case. In the
deposition Kelley was asked: "Have you ever consulted
Bill Clinton as an attorney regarding the subject matter
of the autopsy in the Deer case?" She said, "Yes, I
have." "Did you do that before or after the report was
filed?" She said, "I don't recall."

Throughout the deposition she repeatedly denied any
recollection of the timing of her discussions with
Clinton concerning the Deer case. At other times she
refused to answer questions, claiming attorney-client
privilege.

Eight years after that deposition, Bill Clinton was
running for President. Reporters for the Los Angeles
Times asked him about the Deer case, and whether he had
intervened with Malak on his mother's behalf. Clinton
responded, "There has never been any connection between
my mother's professional experiences and actions I have
taken or not taken as Governor of Arkansas, and I resent
any implications otherwise."

Clinton lost the 1980 election to Frank White, and did
not serve as Governor again until he took office in
1983. Malak's autopsy of Susie Deer took place while
Clinton was out of the Governor's office. No one picked
up on this at the time, but essentially he had parsed
words the same way he did during his troubles in
Washington.

NewsMax.com: What is the significance of this to the
boys on the tracks?

Leveritt: Linda Ives and others have always wondered why
Clinton supported Malak so resolutely. After the boys
were killed, there was a huge outcry against Malak in
Arkansas over his ruling that the boys had fallen asleep
on the tracks due to marijuana intoxication. The ruling
was widely ridiculed, and the families were appalled by
it.

They had the bodies exhumed and brought in a
well-respected medical examiner and pathologist from
Atlanta, Georgia, for a second round of autopsies. That
pathologist pointed out evidence that was later
corroborated by employees in the Arkansas Medical
Examiner's office. The evidence showed that both boys
had wounds indicating they'd been murdered.

That evidence persuaded the Saline County grand jury to
overturn Malak's ruling about the cause and manner of
death. That drew a lot of attention to other Malak
rulings. As Linda Ives campaigned to have him removed
from office, other people began to come forward and
bring to light other, equally questionable rulings he
had made.

The public distrust of Malak became intense. Yet Bill
Clinton steadfastly, resolutely refused to do anything
to remove him from office. Dr. Joycelyn Elders was the
head of the State Health Department at the time. She had
authority regarding Malak's employment, but instead of
removing him she was vocal in her support. So Malak
stayed until just weeks before Bill Clinton announced he
was going to run for President. At that point the
landscape shifted dramatically.

After protesting that he would not resign, Malak
suddenly did resign and was offered a job at the State
Health Department, under Dr. Elders. I should add that
Malak received a couple of raises between the time of
his ruling on the boys' deaths and his subsequent
removal as Medical Examiner.

The significance of Virginia Kelley's deposition is that
it sheds new light on the relationship between Bill
Clinton and Malak. Although the Los Angeles Times
questioned Clinton about the link between the Deer case,
his mother, and Malak, Clinton denied any involvement
and that was the end of the story at that time. Kelley's
deposition suggests, however, that Clinton's involvement
in that case was greater than he acknowledged.

NewsMax.com: Do you believe there was a connection
between what happened to the boys and the activities at
Mena, Arkansas?

Leveritt: One cannot overlook the fact that at roughly
the same time that the boys were murdered, Barry Seal, a
major cocaine importer, was operating at Mena airport.

NewsMax.com: Is there any hard evidence that the CIA was
in fact sponsoring Barry Seal's activities?

Leveritt: A few weeks ago I got a box of records, a
portion of the FBI files on Barry Seal. Much of it was
redacted. Several hundred pages were withheld. In a
cover letter sent with the portion I did receive, the
FBI explained the reasons for blacking out several parts
and for not sending the other pages. The exemptions
claimed were based on the CIA Act of 1949 and the
National Security Act of 1947.

NewsMax.com: What conclusions do you draw from that?

Leveritt: It certainly raises some serious questions.
First, what is the national security interest at this
point in keeping from the American public what was going
on with this documented cocaine smuggler who has been
dead now for 13 years? Second, how did his activities
trigger the CIA Act of 1949?

NewsMax.com: You had previously contacted members of
Congress to aid in your request for documents. [1] Were
the documents you just received the ones you had been
seeking when you contacted the members of Congress?

Leveritt: Yes. I never speak of this without
acknowledging the help of Congressman Vic Snyder
(D-Ark.). He was diligent in trying to get these
documents released, simply in the interest of freedom of
information. I doubt I would ever have gotten them
without his help.

NewsMax.com: You wrote a story early this year in which
you mentioned Representative Asa Hutchinson (R-Ark.) and
his role in investigating Mena. You reported that you
had asked for his help in obtaining the documents. What
sort of help did you get from his office?

Leveritt: They sent to me a copy of a federal
publication written to help people who were trying to
submit a freedom of information request.

NewsMax.com: Did his office contact the FBI on your
behalf?

Leveritt: They said they would, but I have no way of
knowing if they did or not.

NewsMax.com: There are accounts that Mena-related air
drops were taking place on the railroad tracks near
Bryant, Arkansas, and that a drop had come up missing.
According to this account, the boys' deaths were related
to this missing drop. In your research, did you find
information to substantiate this?

Leveritt: In this book I tried to tell what we know to
be true and to avoid the fuzzy areas. There has been a
lot of misinformation spread about the activities at
Mena and the boys' deaths. I have probably done more
work on these two subjects than anyone else has. My
interest was to get on the record what we know for sure.
I have done that, and that story alone is amazing.

As for the fuzzy areas, I refer to questions that Linda
Ives had to consider — questions that face us all. One
of the things I say is that if we have a pattern of A, B
and D, we might speculate that the missing letter is C,
and we might have good reasons for concluding that. But
I tried to avoid speculation in the book. So, the answer
to your question is I did not pin down definitive
information about a missing drug or money drop and I did
not report speculation as fact.

This story deserves serious mainstream interest. And I
am a serious journalist. So I tried to be cautious in
this book and not get into things about which we do not
have definitive information.

NewsMax.com: What has researching and writing this book
meant to you personally?

Leveritt: I was dismayed to run into some of the same
walls that have blocked others seeking information on
these matters. The Department of Justice has erected
these walls to hide what should be public information.
At the same time, I am proud of what I was able to
discover and report about these dark affairs.

 Notes
[1] Mara Leveritt, "A selective passion for truth,"
Arkansas Times, February 12, 1999. Available at:
Arktimes.com

All Rights Reserved © NewsMax.com

Get The Boys on the Tracks  at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312198418/o/qid%3D940581952/sr%3D8-1/002-6851388-3893032/thetraindeaths/002-0924810-2469858