-Caveat Lector-

I'll be interested to see whether the declassified material includes
information on the recruitment of former Waffen-SS personnel and other
(mostly) East Europeans into the original Army Special Forces in the early
1950s, when serious thought was given to conducting covert operations
against the Soviets in the Ukraine.

The Ukrainian Partisan Army (UPA), which was both anti-Nazi AND anti-Soviet
(although extremely right-wing in its politics), had continued to wage a
guerrilla war against Moscow well after the German surrender. The UPA
collapsed after the Soviets assassinated its leader [whose name escapes
me--sorry] in Munich in 1948, leaving the commandos whom the CIA had been
training in Bavaria at loose ends.

When the Special Forces were created, based on the multinational
(U.S.-U.K.-Canadian) special combat teams established during WW2, they were
apparently envisioned as a kind of "Foreign Legion" which could absorb
usable elements of defeated or defunct national armies and anti-communist
resistance groups; and many of the UPA fighters were brought into the
original 1st Special Forces Brigade, along with former Waffen-SS.

(Remember that in the last years of the war, numerous "non-Aryan" formations
had been set up within the Waffen-SS to replace German troops. These
"honorary Aryans" were largely drawn from anti-Soviet national elements
within the Soviet Union, such as the Tatars. There was also a Russian
contingent under Vlassov. Among the recruits to the new Waffen-SS units was
the father of the former Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff John
Shalikashvili; the elder Shalikashvili had been an officer with the White
Russian army during the Russian Civil War and had fled to Poland following
the collapse of the Whites.)

How much of the Special Forces operation was coordinated with the
Gehlen-Apparat is uncertain, but given the depth of Gehlen's penetration of
the Soviet Union one can assume that nothing was undertaken without first
consulting him.