-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 11/18/99 11:58:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> FWIW, I've run across a story about one of the "retreats" at the Wewelsburg
>  called by Himmler for his twelve SS-Gruppenführer (generals), including, of
>  course, Heydrich. (That there were twelve of them was not a coincidence;
>  Himmler deliberately invoked the image of the Knights of the Round Table.)
>  Each man was assigned a room (identified by a medieval knight's heraldic
>  shield, probably drawn from the Arthurian legends), where he was supposed
>  meditate on the classics of German literature, such as *Das
Niebelungenlied*
>  or *Parzival*. And most of them duly, if awkwardly, did just that.
Heydrich,
>  however, did not. Defying Himmler's instructions, he had packed a bottle of
>  Schnapps, several packs of cigarettes, and a detective novel, and while his
>  colleagues were contemplating such figures as Siegfried and Klingsor,
>  Heydrich stretched out comfortably with the latest "Krimi."
>
>  Himmler and Heydrich were merely two sides of the same coin. Himmler
>  believed in the occult, as did many of the Nazi Reichsleiter; Heydrich did
>  not believe in anything except Heydrich, a belief system shared by quite a
>  few of the Nazi elite. When Heydrich banned all occult groups and
practices,
>  his objective was to focus the attention of the masses entirely on the
>  person of Adolf Hitler and the institution of the NSDAP. Himmler's seances
>  were *not* public affairs; they were intended to raise supernatural power
>  for the benefit specifically of the SS and particularly its Reichsführer,
>  Heinrich Himmler. Both Himmler and Heydrich were concerned solely with
>  power, however that might manifest itself. That Heydrich was a
thoroughgoing
>  cynic (as befitted a Nazi leader who may well have been part Jewish) and
>  Himmler was a complete, even credulous, believer, becomes essentially
>  irrelevant in considering their respective roles in the history of the
Third
>  Reich. What matters is the way they exercised their very considerable
power,
>  and the way they increased that power by manipulating the structure and the
>  symbols of the Nazi state.

Thank you.  I am familiar with the story you relate about the happenings at
Wewelsburg.  I believe that Himmler because of his more credible nature
lacked the focus that was necessary to do the job that needed to be done.  I
believe he spread himself too thin.  I believe that Heydrich was a much
bigger threat because he had his minds eye focussed on the objective always.
That is the only point I wished to make, and I certainly agree with the rest
of your comments.  Credibility for the occult and supernatural in no way make
a person "less" evil for his actions or potential harm, neither does it
necessarily make that person not intelligent enough to make sharp decisions
when necessary.  There was most assuredly a difference between the two men.
Because of that difference I'm glad it was not Heydrich in charge of the SS
later in the war.

***********************************
"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, "The Matrix".

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents.
  We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of seas of infinity,
and it is not meant that we should
  voyage far.  The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but someday
  the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying
vistas of reality, and of our
  frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the deadly light into the
  peace and safety of a new dark age."  H.P.Lovecraft; "The Call of Cthulhu"