-Caveat Lector-

"Tatman, Robert" wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> You're assuming that both "Israel" and "Phoenicia" were nations as we know
> that concept today. They weren't. They were a collection of cities (i.e.
> trading stations) loosely held together by cultural ties and fealty to a
> "high king."

This is certainly true of the Phoenicians, but I'm not so sure about other
people who were tribal and had tribal territories.

> As we've discussed in other threads, there is considerable
> evidence of close cultural contact between Syria-Canaan-Israel and Mycenaean
> Greeks, both in Greece and in Anatolia. The "Philistines" (who gave their
> name, via a convoluted route, to "Filistina" [Palestine]) seem to have been
> a particularly heterogeneous group, some of whom were usually fighting with
> various Israelites at any given time...while at the same time other
> Philistines were *allied* with various Israelites. The same was true of
> Phoenicia, as well as Ammon, Midian, and the other "nations" of the Fertile
> Crescent. It wasn't the non-existent "king of Phoenicia" who was allied with
> Solomon of Israel, for example, but rather Hiram of Tyre

This is true.

...and it is not at
> all beyond the realm of possibility that there were Israelites on ships
> sailing out of Tyre and other Phoenician cities.

This is probably true also. But only because the Phoenicians traded along
the coasts. Many nations, including Egypt, sailed along the coasts. In coastal
trading, it is possible that Israelites, and maybe even others sailed with
them. But that did not apply to trans oceanic sailing. The Phoenicians had a
monopoly on that and didn't share their secrets with anyone.

Joshua2