</A> -Cui Bono?-

2/10

Hi !

Below please find information on memory studies.

Sincerely,   Neil Brick

The following is from "Memory, Trauma Treatment and the Law" by Brown,
Scheflin and Hammond, C 1998, W. W. Norton Pub. Chapter 12, "The False Logic
of the False Memory Controversy and the Irrational Element in Scientific
Research on Memory" p. 383-384

"...In particular, the following positions asserted by extreme false memory
proponents are mistaken:

1. All or most therapists working with childhood sexual abuse believe in the
tape-recorder theory of memory.
2. Repressed memory does not exist, or, as Ofsche has stated, "repressed
memory is the scientific quackery of the twentieth century." (Ofsche, cited
in Loftus and Ketchum, 1994, p. 206)
3. There is only one "normal" model for memory, whether traumatic or
nontraumatic.
4. Memories of events are stored the way books are stored on library shelves
- as an entire unit.

Many trauma advocate and almost all memory researchers...adhere to a
multidimensional view of memory systems, and they correctly point out that
false memory advocates who apply research findings on normal autobiographical
memory to the domain of trauma have incorrectly assumed a unitary model of
memory....

There is a growing corpus of scientific and clinical data in support of the
view that traumatic experiences are encoded and stored both as behavioral
memory and verbal memory, and that in certain instances the implicit,
behavioral memory for the trauma make take primacy over the verbal memory in
the form of behavioral reenactment and intrusive reexperiencing..... normal
behavioral  memory in children and behavioral memory for trauma in children
and adults have been the subjects  of numerous scientific investigations.

Some false memory advocates consistently ignore these data. To ignore the
entire corpus of scientific data on implicit, behavioral memory because it
might lend credence to clinicians' description of unconscious behavioral
reenactments of trauma, which in turn might even justify memory recovery
techniques,  is poor science....Dismissing the validity of recovered memories
of abuse on the grounds that the memory is accompanied by somatic distress
(or a body memory) is neither logical nor scientific...Implicit memories,
which are not currently available to consciousness, nevertheless exert
influence on thoughts and behaviors (Graf & Masson 1993)..."

>From "Memory, Trauma Treatment, and the Law by Brown, Scheflin and Hammond,"
W.W. Norton and Co. New York and London, C 1998 (http://www.wwnorton.com)
Page 365-366

"WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT MEMORY FALLIBILITY?

Loftus's claim that human memory in general is fallible (1979a,b) and that
therefore memories recovered in psychotherapy are equally fallible (1993) is
both overstated and oversimplified (Koss et al., 1995). Conclusions in a
textbook that negative emotional arousal "hinders accurate...memory" (Loftus,
1980, p.78) is misleading in that the statement fails to specify the
conditions under which arousal hinders or enhances memory. Her conclusion
correctly applies only to laboratory simulation studies of memory for complex
visual presentations and only when a particular type of information is
assessed. These simulation studies rarely show memory fallibility with
respect to the emotional arousing event itself. Moreover, it is misleading to
generalize findings on memory fallibility for certain types of visual
information presented in the laboratory to autobiographical memory of
patients in psychotherapy.

    What do the laboratory simulation studies actually demonstrate? Heuer and
Reisberg (1990)  have correctly pointed out that negative emotional arousal
has multiple effects on memory, depending on the type of memory information
assessed. Claims about memory fallibility are only valid, when considered in
terms of the type of memory information assessed. Negative emotional arousal
has different effects on different types of memory information. As we have
seen, memory for visual information is different from memory for verbal
information about a negative emotional arousing event (Christianson &
Fallman, 1990; Christianson & Nilsson, 1984). The early studies on emotional
arousal and memory performance led to a distorted view of memory fallibilty
because they were biased toward assessing memory performance in terms of the
total information contained within a complex visual stimulus presentation
(Clifford & Hollin, 1981; Clifford & Scott, 1978) or because they assessed
memory for peripheral background details like the number on the football
jersey of an innocent eyewitness to a crime (Loftus & Burns, 1982). More
sophisticated studies that clearly distinguish between plot-relevant central
information, basic level visual information, and plot-irrelevant central and
background details (Burke et al., 1992) have clearly demonstrated that memory
is well and accurately retained for the gist of a central action
(plot-relevant action) or a negative emotional event even over long retention
intervals, while only the peripheral background details are poorly retained.
These findings are consistent with Bartlett's (1932) original studies on
memory for the War of the Ghosts, in which gist memory was well preserved
while memory for minor details was highly inaccurate.

    General, overstated claims about memory fallibility fail to take into
consideration the complex interaction of variables that affect memory
performance."

http://www.jimhopper.com/memory-decision (the first page (.com) links to
other pages of interest also) "The Validity of Recovered Memory: Decision of
a US District Court" Judge Edward F. Harrington,  Presentation by Jim Hopper,
Ph.D. The legal documentation citation is: 923 Federal Supplement 286 (D.
Mass. 1996), United States District Court - District of Massachusetts
Ann Shahzade, plaintiff Civil Action No.: V. 92-12139-EFH George Gregory,
Defendant.

Some quotes from the decision:
    "The factors to be considered when deciding if proffered testimony is
valid 'scientific knowledge,' and therefore reliable, are..." (p.3)
    "This Court finds that the reliability of the phenomenon of repressed
memory has been established" and will allow the plaintiff to introduce
evidence related to their recovered memories (p.3).
    "Dr. van der Kolk testified that repressed memories is not a scientific
controversy, but... a political and forensic one" (p.5).
    "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV,
1994)...also recognizes the concept of repressed memories" (p.7).
    "in considering the admissibility of repressed memory evidence," the
court must rule on the "validity of the theory itself... for the law to
reject a diagnostic category generally accepted by those who practice the art
and science of psychiatry would be folly." (p.9).

>From "Memory, Trauma Treatment, and the Law by Brown, Scheflin and Hammond,"
W.W. Norton and Co. New York and London, C 1998 (http://www.wwnorton.com)
Page 393

Pages 390 - 394 deal with repressed memories :

"Our conclusion is similar to that recently drawn by Gleaves (1996a)... "A
wealth of clinical and experimental data do support the concept of extensive
traumatic amnesia and the subsequent recovery of accurate memories. This is
not to imply that such recovered memories are always accurate or that more
research on this challenging topic is not needed. However, the frequently
repeated statement that there is no scientific support for the reality of
"repressed" memories should be understood as being based on one review
article out of context while at the same time ignoring decades of relevant
data." (p. 16) " - Gleaves

Memory Validation

The information for the following article came from "Memory, Trauma
Treatment, and the Law" by Brown, Scheflin and Hammond, W.W. Norton and Co.
New York and London, C 1998 (http://www.wwnorton.com) Page 370-381 and is
written by the editor of S.M.A.R.T.

The base rates for memory commission errors are quite low, at least in
professional trauma treatment. The base rates in adult misinformation studies
run between zero and 5 percent for adults and between 3 - 5 percent for
children.  Out of about seven to 10% of the general population that may be
highly hypnotizable, four to 6 percent of high hypnotizable subjects may
"produce hypnotic psuedomemories for peripheral details (of a memory) in
response to suggestions" in a waking state or hypnotized with controlled
situational influence. The 4-6 percent may rise in terms of report rates to
80% under some conditions  of social influence. Extreme social influence can
be compared to brainwashing or social influence to the following criteria,
several of which must happen for the possibility of an untrue memory to
occur: patient is highly suggestible (in terms of memory),  with low to
moderate suggestibility a therapeutic situation must contain a number of the
following: patient is quite uncertain about the past event, suggestions of
peripheral details (not central plot actions of a memory), source credibility
(an authority figure), patient bias (previous information), authority figure
bias (has set belief about what happened), systematic misleading (rather than
free recall), emotional manipulation (blame or rejection for not producing
the desired result or praise for the desired result), behavioral response
(individual journal or oral narrative to group of trauma or action against
perpetrators), milieu control (total information control in and out of
therapeutic or other context) and  psychophysiological manipulation (breaking
down the subject's defenses,  assaults self esteem or person's core or causes
subject to regress).

"Occasional unwitting misleading suggestions (Yapko, 1994a), even the
suggestion of a diagnosis of abuse, cannot adequately explain illusory
memories of child sexual abuse." (p. 379) Occasional suggestions about abuse
are not generally effective, except in highly suggestible people.

Some child abuse interrogations  might come close to some of the above
conditions. Those that have retracted claims due to influence from their
accused families, if they have internalized the systematic information of the
FMSF, and were coached by FMSF members may also meet many of the above
criteria of social influence.

Three to six percent of people possess a trait of high memory suggestibility
(related or unrelated to hypnotizability). They may make errors for at least
peripheral information, but under  the certain social conditions listed
before they might make errors for central information also.

One to two thirds of people could possibly make memory errors in an
interrogatory social interaction with many of the social influence conditions
listed before. About one third of the population are resistant to memory
commission errors except under extreme conditions.

My conclusion is that memory contamination is very unlikely, except under
extreme conditions. From the data presented, it sounds like it is almost
totally impossible for anyone to make a memory error for the central plot of
a memory simply by hearing disinformation. A variety of other factors would
have to be in place.  Even under hypnosis without several social influence
factors, it sounds like it is extremely rare (4-6% of 7-10%, less than one
percent of people)  may be influenced by disinformation.

It sounds like most people would almost have to be in a cult or in a cult
like situation or under considerable duress to produce an untrue memory.
Theories that claim that a "false" memory can be created simply by hearing an
erroneous statement or because a person is looking for "filler" to complete
the central plot of their memory, are probably wrong.

But, if all the information in the media and society available to most
survivors is biased toward the incorrect position that memories of abuse are
false. And a survivor is manipulated and pressured by their family
emotionally and cognitively, it is very possible that a survivor may wrongly
believe that their memories are not true.