From
http://www.infomagic.com/liberty/vs000319.htm

{{<Begin>}}

March 19, 2000

The Libertarian
by Vin Suprynowicz

If you liked Bien Hoa,
you'll love Bogota

 A ttempting to prove Democrats aren't the only big spenders around,
Congressional Republicans planned to push a measure through a House committee
last week ponying up $9 billion for U.S. operations in the Balkans and "anti-
drug efforts" in Colombia -- nearly double what President Clinton requested.

Does anyone imagine we're going to hand over that kind of cash to the torturers
of Bogota without putting someone on the ground to supervise how the fields get
burned? I've thus offered to organize an office pool to choose the date when
we'll be able to recycle the Kennedy-Johnson era headline: "White House
acknowledges Colombian 'advisers' authorized to carry weapons in combat zones."
Meantime, do you suppose we can get Country Joe and the Fish out of retirement
to sing: "And it's 1, 2, 3, what are we fighting for? Don't ask me I'm really
keen, to fire-bomb Medellin"?

Speaking of the failed and oppressive war on guns and drugs, it's the Chicago
Tribune that's now negotiating to buy the failing Los Angeles Times, where
management admits circulation dropped by 20 percent, and profits slipped from
22 percent to 6.5 percent, after the paper's editorial page started calling in
1993 for a national ban on private ownership of handguns and most rifles.
(Thanks for pointing out that correlation to J. Neil Schulman, a former Times
reader and author of "Stopping Power: Why 70 Million Americans Own Guns.")

It was the staid old Chicago Tribune that saw fit on Feb. 7 to run an excellent
opinion piece by Salim Muwakkil, headlined "A record politicians aren't talking
about":

"This month the nation will mark two paradoxical milestones," Mr. Muwakkil
pointed out. "The economic expansion has become the longest in history and the
prison population will reach 2 million. Because economic vitality tends to
dampen criminal behavior, those disparate benchmarks seem to confound
conventional wisdom. Why are the jails filling up while the economy is roaring
along?"

Mr. Muwakkil finds his answer in four words, of course: The War On Drugs.

When Ronald Reagan took office, America's prison population was about 500,000.
"It has quadrupled since then and a high percentage of that increase is drug-
related. ... With just 5 percent of the world's population, the U.S. has a
quarter of the world's prisoners."

Then-Gov. Bill Clinton specifically restored the right of his brother's
convicted cocaine peddler, Dan Lassiter, to carry a gun in Arkansas (the Wall
Street Journal ran a photostat of the document on its editorial page.) He even
called upon "rehabilitated" brother Roger to take a bow at his Democratic
nominating convention (no hard time for these rich white guys.) Both partys'
leading presidential candidates now either admit to being former users of
illegal drugs like marijuana and cocaine, or duck the issue with a feeble "no
comment."

Voters in seven states and Washington, D.C., have now overwhelmingly voted to
legalize medical use of marijuana -- though cops have ignored those votes and
continued to bust sick marijuana patients like Steve Kubby and Peter
McWilliams, anyway.

"This nation's enormous incarceration rate is a social catastrophe that should
be a major focus of our political discourse," Mr. Muwakkil concludes. But,
"rather than burst the bubble of pretense that surrounds the idiotic drug war,
national politicians prefer to push their heads even further into the sand."

And speaking of the ongoing attempts by the state of California to imprison and
thus kill adrenal cancer survivor Steve Kubby (kept alive only by medical
marijuana) -- Mr. Kubby, of course, was the 1996 gubernatorial candidate of the
California Libertarian Party, actively campaigning for California's successful
medical marijuana initiative. His home was then raided as punishment for that
political activism after Golden State voters legalized such marijuana use.
Mr. Kubby writes, "Last week, everything was on the line for us. If the judge
ruled against us, we would be forced immediately into trial, without witnesses
or the right to use the medical marijuana defense we helped put into law. If we
were convicted on even one count, our attorneys told us we would be handcuffed,
jailed, and our children taken from us. It would take months or years to win an
appeal, long after I had died in prison from my cancer.

"We faced a terrible choice: accept a plea bargain that would only require
probation and save our family -- or hold out for a favorable decision from the
judge.

"As the judge stepped onto the bench, one of the prosecutors turned and looked
directly at me. He was smiling, thoroughly pleased with himself, and wanted me
to know it. We were only about 10 feet away so I could clearly see his face and
his intent.

"The prosecutor's smiling face struck me as incredibly rude, since Michele was
next to me, crying her eyes out. ... I couldn't stop wondering why the
prosecutor was smiling and ignoring my wife's obvious distress. Then it struck
me what was happening -- the prosecutor saw her crying and assumed we were
going to accept their plea bargain. Leering at us, the prosecutor wanted me to
see how pleased he was to have finally trapped his prey.

"The judge told us we would have to make a decision on the plea bargain, before
he gave his decision on whether or not to grant us a new trial and new
attorneys. ... My answer cut through the prosecutor like a razor blade: 'No,
your honor.'

"Next came Michele. It would be all too easy for her to agree to one
misdemeanor and walk away from this nightmare. Though she was still crying, her
answer was brave and clear, 'No your honor, I do not!'

"Then the judge read his decision and to our everlasting relief, our
continuance was granted. ...

"Thanks to attorney Eric Berg's sealed motion ... our judge now understands our
side. Judge Roeder even told the prosecutors, 'Don't make a mountain out of a
molehill,' and 'Don't try to build your careers on this case.' "

Legendary San Francisco-based defense attorney Tony Serra has agreed to help
represent the Kubbys in their trial later this spring. Help support the defense
of our medical liberties and the courageous Steve and Michele Kubby with your
contribution to the Kubby Defense Fund, Monarch Bay Plaza, Box 375, Dana Point,
CA 92629.

The Kubby Files are at http://www.kubby.com; subscribe for updates at Kubby-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

| Home Page | Send in the Waco Killers | Book Reviews | About Vin |
| Links | Archive | Search this Site | Subscribe | Letters to Vin | Vindex |

Vin Suprynowicz is the assistant editorial page editor of the Las Vegas Review-
Journal. His new book, Send in the Waco Killers," was released by Mountain
Media March 1, 1999. Subtitled "Essays on the Freedom Movement, 1993-1998," the
500-page trade paperback is available at $21.95 per copy plus $3 shipping ($6
for expedited delivery within a week; $2 shipping per each additional copy)
through Mountain Media, P.O. Box 4422, Las Vegas, Nev. 89127-4422. Orders are
also being taken via web site http://www.thespiritof76.com/wacokillers.html, or
toll free at 1-800-244-2224. Credit cards accepted; volume discounts available.

{{<End>}}

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers." Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.