--
(I may be wrong, but I don't believe they knocked on the door at Waco.
Did they?)

     MONDAY
      MAY 1
      2000

                  THE BOY WITHOUT A COUNTRY
                  Donato: 'They
                  never knocked'
                  Man who saved Elian describes
                  government's violent Easter raid

                  Editor's note: In collaboration with the hard-hitting
                  Washington, D.C. newsweekly Human Events,
                  WorldNetDaily presents this special report every
                  Monday. Readers can subscribe to Human Events
                  through WND's on-line store.

                  © 2000, Human Events

                  "They never knocked," said Donato Dalrymple,
                  the man who scooped Elian Gonzalez from the
                  sea last year. "They never announced and then
                  waited for 20 seconds." Nor did they present a
                  warrant.

                  What if they had knocked?

                  "I would have opened
                  the door to be honest
                  with you," said
                  Dalrymple. But there
                  was no knock. They
                  just came in with a
                  battering ram and
                  started busting up the
                  house.

                  They were
                  machine-gun toting
                  agents of the Border
                  Patrol and Immigration and Naturalization
                  Service ordered by Atty. Gen. Janet Reno to
                  seize a six-year-old boy at gunpoint as he slept
                  in his great-uncle's house.

                  In an interview with the editors of Human
                  Events last Thursday, Donato Dalrymple, the
                  40-year-old operator of a Fort Lauderdale
                  house-cleaning service, described what he saw
                  inside the home of Lazaro Gonzalez when it was
                  raided by federal agents in the wee morning
                  hours of Easter Saturday.

                  Along with his cousin Sam Ciancio, a sport
                  fisherman, Dalrymple discovered Elian
                  Gonzalez clinging almost lifeless to an inner
                  tube as it bobbed in the waters off Miami last
                  Thanksgiving.

                  The boy had been at sea for four days. He had
                  seen his mother, her boyfriend and both of the
                  boyfriend's parents drown.

                  Their quest had been to reach America -- and
                  freedom -- risking all to escape Fidel Castro's
                  tyranny. But of all the family members who had
                  embarked from the city of Cardenas, Cuba, in a
                  homemade aluminum boat, only Elian had
                  made it.

                  Many in Miami's Cuban community considered
                  his survival an act of God -- a miracle. Donato
                  Dalrymple was there when the miracle was
                  consummated just off the Florida coast -- and he
                  was there the moment the Clinton Justice
                  Department turned it into a nightmare in a
                  two-bedroom Miami bungalow.

                  In the months since he had found Elian at sea,
                  Dalrymple had developed a bond with the boy
                  as well as with the Florida branch of the
                  Gonzalez clan that had taken custody of him in
                  Miami. Almost every day, he would break off
                  work at about 4 p.m., so he could visit the
                  Gonzalez house and play with the boy.

                  Every day at 8 p.m., like clockwork, great-uncle
                  Lazaro would send Elian off to bed, but
                  Dalrymple often would hang around chatting
                  with family members for an hour or two, then
                  drive home to Fort Lauderdale.

                  On Good Friday, however, he was too tired
                  from work to make the trip to Little Havana.
                  Arriving home, he drifted off to sleep on a
                  couch. Then at 10 p.m., he awoke to hear an
                  alarming bulletin on the radio: The Justice
                  Department would likely take custody of Elian
                  within 24 hours.

                  Dalrymple dressed quickly, jumped in his car,
                  and headed to the Gonzalez home. "My soul
                  was tearful," he said. "I was broken on the inside
                  as I was driving down there -- never turned on
                  the radio, just praying." He wanted to say
                  goodbye to Elian before the government took
                  him away.

                  He arrived in Little Havana at about 10:30 p.m.,
                  parked a few blocks from the house, and
                  requested permission from the Miami police to
                  pass through the barricades. Inside the home, he
                  was surprised to find the mood optimistic, not
                  gloomy.

                  Two of Elian's lawyers, Manny Diaz and
                  Kendall Coffey, were out on the back porch
                  negotiating with the Justice Department on the
                  time, place and manner of reuniting Elian and
                  the entire Gonzalez clan with the father Juan
                  Miguel. Armando Gutierrez, the family
                  spokesman, was shuttling back and forth
                  between the porch and the adjacent dining room
                  to brief family members -- not all of whom can
                  speak English -- on how the negotiations were
                  going. Elian was asleep in his bed in the room
                  he shared with his cousin Marisleysis.

                  Dalrymple chatted with some family members
                  and friends in the living room for about a half
                  hour, then went outside to join what amounted
                  to the perpetual prayer vigil beyond the
                  barricades. At that hour, he says, there were
                  about 1,000 to 1,500 people on the scene.
                  Between prayers, the rumor running through
                  the crowd was that plans were being made for
                  the family to be reunited somewhere near
                  Washington, D.C.

                  At 4:30 a.m., he returned to the house, entering
                  through the back door into the dining room. The
                  immediate family members were in the room
                  huddled around the lawyers -- who were still on
                  the phones negotiating with Washington. So
                  Dalrymple headed through the kitchen and into
                  the darkened front area of the home. Elian --
                  who had slept for about eight hours before
                  being awakened by all the activity inside and
                  outside the house -- was now lying on a sofa at
                  the back wall of the living room, the wall
                  nearest the kitchen and dining room. Another
                  family member or friend was sleeping on the
                  sofa along the wall to the right. So Dalrymple
                  went to a third sofa, which was up against the
                  front wall of the house, immediately beside the
                  front door. Soon Lazaro came in from the
                  kitchen, laid down on the couch with Elian, and
                  began speaking with him in Spanish. After
                  awhile, Lazaro got back up and returned to the
                  kitchen.

                  "The next thing, I was in a dead sleep," said
                  Dalrymple. About half an hour later, he woke
                  again when he heard noises outside the house.
                  "I heard the rustling of what I call the foot
                  soldiers," he said. "Then you heard screaming
                  and yelling like bloody murder and people
                  screaming, 'Get down, get down, we'll shoot.'

                  "I jumped up when I heard those words and
                  said, 'Oh, my God.' Now, Elian was right in
                  front of me and he was screaming. My natural
                  instinct was to run to him and sweep him up in
                  my arms, and I said to myself, 'My God, where
                  do we go?'

                  "In front of me, I just heard people screaming,"
                  he said. "I saw Marisleysis. I saw Lazaro. They
                  were all trying to run for Elian, and then Elian
                  was in my arms.

                  "I ran into the bedroom. They were coming in
                  from the back and they were coming in from the
                  front.

                  "The photographer made his way into the house
                  with the agents. Then one of the guys from the
                  family took him by the back and just threw him
                  into the room where we were, and then, boom,
                  the door slammed.

                  "You were waiting to hear boom, boom, boom,
                  shots," said Dalrymple.

                  Four others had made it into the closed
                  bedroom with Dalrymple and Elian: Lazaro's
                  wife Angela, her niece, the niece's young son,
                  and Associated Press photographer Alan Diaz.

                  As Dalrymple, holding the now-terrified Elian,
                  tried to wedge himself into a cramped closet,
                  the niece and her son scrambled around to the
                  right side of the bed and Angela stood her
                  ground to the right of the closed door.
                  Photographer Diaz wedged himself up against
                  the back wall of the room in the narrow space
                  between the left side of the bed and the closet.

                  "I was trying to get into the closet as much as I
                  could, but there was no way to go," said
                  Dalrymple. "So I asked [Diaz], is there a way out
                  of here? Can we do something? And he said,
                  'Donato, just relax, there's no way out. This is it,
                  man.'"

                  Beyond the closed door there was a minute of
                  chaos.

                  "You heard everything being trashed. People
                  screaming. And the sound of shoosh, shoosh.
                  There was pepper spray in the house." Then the
                  federal agents were at the bedroom door.

                  "I heard bam, one, then, bam, two," said
                  Dalrymple. "They were hitting the door with a
                  battering ram. The door broke right in half and
                  came down, and these guys rustled into the
                  room. And the guy who had the gun just like
                  that [gesturing to his chest] says, 'Don't move,
                  don't move. Give me the kid. Give me the kid.'

                  "The next guy had his gun on the other kid.

                  "I said, 'Don't hurt the boy, don't hurt the boy.'
                  Then there was this lady with like a towel or a
                  blanket or a pillow case or something who came
                  in," said Dalrymple. "Elian -- you've seen the
                  face on him -- was screaming.

                  "The soldier and the lady snatched the boy and
                  they threw the blanket over him," says
                  Dalrymple. "And then we're going out. And
                  maybe it was stupid or not, but I followed as the
                  guy was backing out of the room with the gun
                  on me."

                  Did that lady say anything when she grabbed
                  Elian? "She never said a word that I know of,"
                  said Dalrymple. "She was like the silent devil
                  standing there."

                  The soldier was yelling at him and Elian in
                  English, not Spanish, he said.

                  "We are actually in the hallway now," said
                  Dalrymple, "and he's backing out and he's still
                  got the gun on me and he's backing out slowly,
                  with the women behind him, surrounded by
                  three or four armed guys. And they went down
                  the stairs outside, and they fell down, hit the
                  bushes, dropped the kid, picked him up, and
                  ran toward the fence that was already knocked
                  down, and made their way to the vehicle, and
                  I'm following them all the way, pleading with
                  them."

                  But was there no knock on the door?

                  "There was no knocking," said Dalrymple, who
                  was right by the door. "I would have answered
                  it."

                  "If you walked into that house, it was a living
                  shrine. Well-wishers had come with more
                  Mother Marys and Sacred Heart of Jesus
                  pictures. ... It was like a church in there," he
                  said. "They trashed the house."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_exnews/20000501_xex_donato_they_.shtml

Bard

We are a Nation of the Rule of Law;
however, I, for one, will not be Ruled by the Lawless.

To All Elected Officials:
  "Stop stealing my earnings that you use to give to those whom you know will vote for
you."

There's not a dime bit of difference between a DemoRat and a RepubRat,
they're simply two wings of the same bird of prey which pecks at your
earnings while insidiously devouring your Freedom.

BUCHANAN-Reform
http://gopatgo2000.com/default.htm

Eternal Vigilance - The Price of Freedom!

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters