---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 12:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ethan Preston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Robot-for-President] Re: Computer Speech and First Amendment
    Protection: Will it apply to fully robotic conversational programming when
    it is available?

Hello Ethan:
            I have put this matter out to several law lists as well. The
matter of "robot rights" seems humorous or frivolous at first. But a
scientist from BT wrote in the last issue of The Futurist that he expects
to see robots given something akin to human rights (in some degree) by the
next decade. If the programmer has First Amendment rights, why not an
autonomous robot programmer (when the technology gets to that
stage)? Kurzweil (1999) says he expects to see conversational programming
which will "pass the Turing test" in about 20 years. Just something to put
on the back burner for now. Thanks for your interest.
FWP.

http://users.uniserve.com/~culturex/Machine-Psychology.htm

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Ethan Preston wrote:

> I'm not sure I fully understand the question.
>
> If you're asking about whether robots' speech will have First
> Amendment protection, I think the answer is no, but that the programs
> that would operate and create the robots' speech would.
>
> That is:
> Robots would not have First Amendment protection, this is probably a
> functional aspect of the underlying program, despite the
> manifestation.
> The robots' programs and programmers would have First Amendment
> protection.
>
> On Wed, 03 May 2000, you wrote:

    http://www.vcn.bc.ca/culturex/The-Question-Nobody-Will-Answer.htm

          *** The Era of Total Automation is Now ***

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL