Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
-----

Ponzi Schemes

Let Me Out of Social Security

by James Freeman

Are you better off keeping and investing the money you make, or sending it to
Washington and relying on the government to take care of you? It’s an easy
call, right? You want to keep the money. You want control of your personal
finances. And you’re not being selfish. It’s the basic lesson of the 20th
century: Free people and free markets do better than big government and
central planning.

Most people have accepted that freedom works in general, but we seem to have
trouble with the specifics. Take Social Security, for example. Given the
choice, what sane person would forgo all the savings and investment
opportunities in our economy and instead choose to contribute to a government
program offering neither competitive returns nor a guaranteed payout? Nobody.
Would any personal finance magazine recommend Social Security if the program
were voluntary? Not a chance.

So why is everyone debating how to save Social Security? The question is how
to kill it, without breaking the promises already made. I think part of the
problem is that political reporters, not financial reporters, always cover
Social Security. If journalists evaluated it as an investment vehicle, they’d
be telling us to run as fast as we can away from this stinker. To be clear, I
absolutely think the government should take care of the people due to receive
benefits. I also think it’s essential that we shut this thing down at the
earliest possible opportunity. And there’s a way to do both.

First of all, let’s get a few things straight. The politicians love to talk
about preserving the Social Security "trust fund." In fact, the trust fund
does not exist, at least not in the way a reasonable person would define the
term. The "trust fund" is a large pile of IOUs from the federal government to
the Social Security system. The government has basically said, "I owe myself
trillions of dollars to provide the benefits that I have promised." This is
not cash - it’s a promise to increase taxes or run deficits to fulfill the
promises already made.

Secondly, although politicians like to portray Social Security as a
government-run retirement benefits program, it is actually a tax. The funds
deducted from your salary are not deposited in an account with your name on
it. Instead, the money removed from your paycheck on Friday is sent to a
current beneficiary on Monday. You may have heard critics refer to Social
Security as a legalized Ponzi scheme. That’s not just rhetoric. The system
literally uses the money from new contributors to pay off previous investors.
And you do not own the money you have "put away" in Social Security. Unlike a
private pension plan, benefits are not guaranteed. So whether you actually
receive money in retirement is at the discretion of whoever happens to hold
elected office at that moment.

Before long, those elected officials will be under intense pressure to break
Social Security’s promises. In 2013, America’s 77 million baby boomers will
begin retiring. In 2015, the system will begin paying out more than it takes
in (sooner if the economy doesn’t continue it’s fantastic growth).

This is not a matter of debate. The math just doesn’t work anymore. In 1945,
right before the baby boom, there were 42 workers paying taxes for each
retired person collecting benefits. Today there are a little more than three
workers for each beneficiary. By 2030 - when almost all the boomers will have
retired - the ratio will be two to one. Basically, if you’re a Generation Xer
or younger, you will personally be responsible for providing a retired
person’s entire benefits for six months of every year. We’ve been blessed
with a prosperous society and great medical technology so people can live
much longer in retirement. Now let’s recognize that the game has changed and
improve our retirement financing while we have a few years before the crisis.

How do you let young people out of this flawed system without sentencing the
baby boomers to poverty in old age? I think the best plan out there is the
one that I described in this space in 1998: a proposal from Marshall Carter’s
1996 book, Promises to Keep. He wants to create "Personal Social Security
Accounts" (PSSAs). Every person currently enrolled in Social Security would
have the option to switch to a PSSA or to remain in the current system. All
new workers entering the labor force would be given PSSAs instead of Social
Security. And every current retiree would continue to receive Social Security
benefits.

Here's how it works: PSSAs would be mandatory savings accounts controlled by
you, not by politicians. Instead of sending 10.7% of your salary each month
to Washington in the form of Social Security taxes, your employer would only
send half that amount to the government and then deposit the other half in
your account. You would be free to invest the money in stocks, bonds, or CDs
through a government-licensed broker or banker. Your PSSA would be similar to
an IRA in that your money would grow tax-free, but you wouldn't be able to
withdraw any of the funds before retirement.

Basically, Washington cuts your retirement taxes in half. In return, you
accept the responsibility for taking care of yourself in old age. You give up
traditional Social Security benefits, but you also get the freedom to invest
on your own. The stock market delivers a long-term annual return of better
than 10%. Social Security will give today’s younger generations about one
percent - assuming the system doesn't collapse.

Since the government will continue to receive half of your payroll deduction,
without having to provide you with benefits, the economics improve for the
current system. To finance retirement for boomers who choose to stay in the
present system, the Treasury Department will issue long-term bonds. As the
government continues to receive taxes from more and more workers who are
never due to receive benefits, it gradually pays back the money it borrowed
to take care of the boomers. So today's old folks continue to receive their
monthly checks, the government keeps its promise to the baby boomers, and
younger workers get financial freedom. They’ll build much greater wealth for
retirement when they’re able to pursue competitive returns.

Don’t save Social Security. Save the people who need it. And let the rest of
us have our freedom.
USA Today, May 15, 2000
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,
All My Relations.
Omnia Bona Bonis,
Adieu, Adios, Aloha.
Amen.
Roads End

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL