New York Post-June 8, 2000

CLINTON'S 'TALK' PALS DO HIS DIRTY WORK

By ROD DREHER

WE'VE long known that the White House employs private
investigators to look for dirt in the private lives of people
critical of Bill Clinton.

But now we know that the Walt Disney Co.'s money pays for the
same kind of work.

Disney's Talk/Miramax book division contracted with New York
writer John Connolly to do a book titled "Insane Clown Posse," a
work-in-progress that dishes what purports to be the slimy
secrets of a host of Clinton critics.

Jonathan Burnham, president of Talk/Miramax Books, said yesterday
that the manuscript hasn't been edited or vetted legally, and no
decision to publish has been made. A company investigation into
author Connolly's methods is ongoing.

They'll have a lot to look into. Several people I spoke with
yesterday who are reportedly in the book say Connolly approached
their friends and associates asking for sleazy details of their
private lives.

One Connolly target, conservative commentator Ann Coulter, even
received a fax from her old boyfriend Bob Guccione Jr. that had
been sent to him from Nils B. Grevillius, a top Los Angeles
private investigator. The PI - who brags on his Web site about
working with Connolly on the book - wanted trash on Coulter, the
fax shows.

Coulter characterized the book's message as, "The entire right
wing is gay except me, but that's because I was having an affair
with Geraldo Rivera. It's absurd."

But gay-sex allegations are only a small part of the book
according to cyber-gossip Matt Drudge, who acquired a copy of the
"Insane Clown Posse" manuscript.

Drudge told me that Connolly's hit list includes Ken Starr and
his deputies, literary agent Lucianne Goldberg, conservative
commentator Laura Ingraham, GOP pollster Kellyanne Fitzpatrick,
magazine editors R. Emmett Tyrrell and Christopher Buckley, and
Wall Street Journal editorial writer John Fund.

"Insane Clown Posse" even goes after non-ideological targets,
such as Newsweek's Michael Isikoff (called "I-Suck-Off" in the
manuscript, says Drudge) and ABC News' Jackie Judd - both
mainstream journalists who broke Sexgate stories damaging to the
president.

"He seemed friendly," Isikoff said. "Then I learned he was going
around asking friends of mine pretty straight-out for dirt on me.
He never asked me any questions about myself."

Other Connolly targets tell similar stories. Former congressional
investigator Dave Bossie, for example, said Connolly contacted a
number of his friends asking them if he was homosexual.

Said another source: "I know Connolly went to people and said,
'Give me information and I'll protect you.'"

Connolly didn't return messages seeking comment.

Is Connolly a rogue reporter operating without supervision? Few
of his targets believe that.

"This guy has secretaries. He has a staff. He's been hiring
private investigators. He's been flying around the country,"
fumed Coulter. "Who made the decision to fund this guy?"

Coulter said that after an initial meeting with Connolly, he
began calling her incessantly.

Has it really come to this? Talk doyenne Tina Brown and Miramax
honcho Harvey Weinstein have not hidden their affection for the
Clintons.

But how could they give a book contract to a writer conducting
what appears to be scorched-earth recriminations against
journalists and others?

Some believe the book never was intended to see the light of day.
They say it's a shot across the bow intended to frighten
journalists from making too much over Al Gore's ethical problems
in the coming election season.

"There is a level of recklessness here that makes me believe it's
not an actual book but an attempt to intimidate," said Fund.

"It's the Clinton spin-meisters trying to destroy everybody so
nobody will lift a finger against him or Al Gore in the future,"
said Bossie.

Some conservatives are lying low, hoping "Insane Clown Posse"
will die a quiet death in the Talk/Miramax morgue. Not Coulter.

"What is the purpose of this, other than pure vengeance? Are
these people going to follow us the rest of our lives? This is
what the McCarthy era was supposed to be like," she said.

Not exactly. In the McCarthy era, as in the Nixon years, liberals
and all journalists raised hell about sleazy attempts to ruin
lives and intimidate people despised by the powerful into
silence.

No more.

Just one more way Bill Clinton has changed America.

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL