Did Sayyaf get new guns from generals?
http://www.philstar.com/datedata/h21_jun21/edi5.htm
- Gotcha by Jarius Bondoc

Details just didn't jibe. A high military officer leaked news last week that
Abu Sayyaf bandits had smuggled 5,000 modern high-powered guns from Vietnam
to Davao on June 1. Gun importers wondered how that can happen when all guns
traded in Vietnam are War-vintage M-16s and .45-caliber pistols left behind
by retreating US forces in the '70s. Besides, Abu Sayyaf doesn't have that
many men -- only 800 in Sulu-Basilan, by AFP estimates -- to handle such
huge arsenal. There had to be another source, possibly an industrial power.
And it couldn't be for Abu Sayyaf.

In fact, AFP camps in Mindanao were abuzz with talk that Vietnam was only a
transshipment point. AFP intelligence men noted that the guns were US-made.
Quoting information shared by Israel's Mossad, they said these came all the
way from the US, bought by Indonesian mercenaries in Manado using Mindanao
aid money from Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Brunei and Arab billionaire Osama bin
Laden. They traced the shipment to Sandakan in Sabah, where it was loaded on
two submarines for landing in Davao. From there, it was trucked to the Moro
Islamic Liberation Front's main Camp Abubakar in Maguindanao. Secessionist
leaders distributed the guns to forces in Lanao, Davao, Cotabato, Surigao,
Zamboanga, Basilan Sulu, Tawi-Tawi and Palawan.

Some guns landed in Abu Sayyaf hands only because the bandits in
Sulu-Basilan have dual-membership in MILF.

But how could rebels pull such a huge shipment undetected, much more
unhampered, by 65,000 government troops -- 60 percent of AFP's strength --
fighting in and around Mindanao?

AFP intelligence head Gen. Jose Calimlim provided part of the answer Monday.
He said Bin Laden had given $3 million for the arms purchase. Salih Balamul,
a deputy of MILF vice chairman Al Haj Murad, had received the cash in
Malaysia from a Middle Eastern country on May 6. From there, Balamul oversaw
the shipment.

What Calimlim didn't mention was other info from Mossad: Balamul was spotted
twice in Labuan, also in Sabah, meeting with an AFP general.

P25 million changed hands. The deal: Mr. General, with three others in
Mindanao (one of them newly-retired but still influential), would look the
other way while the MILF landed and moved the guns. They were going to have
a war game with the MILF, which they believe they handily can defeat, and
make big bucks in the process.

No wonder, Mr. General was absent for some time when fighting was at its
fiercest in Central Mindanao.


* * *
The quarrel has worsened among Abu Sayyaf's five Sulu leaders about how to
deal with presidential adviser Robert Aventajado. Three of them want to
continue negotiating with Aventajado for the release of their 21 mostly
foreign hostages. Two want him out, ostensibly for talking about a military
rescue, but actually for refusing to talk ransom.

As I wrote last week, Nadjmi Sabdullah (Commander Global), Dr. Abu Jumdail
and Radulan Sajiron want political concessions in exchange for the release
of 21 mostly foreign hostages. Mujib Susukan and Galib Andang (Commander
Robot) want only money; thus, they've taken the ten Caucasians deeper into
the jungles of their Talipao hometown to fetch a bargain, leaving their
comrades with nine Malaysians and two Filipinos.

Aventajado has resumed talks with Jumdail, Global and Sajiron, who are
demanding the setting up of a separate Islamic state of Mindanao, Sulu and
Palawan, and the formation of a government commission to look after Tausugs
in Sabah. Through emissaries, Susukan and Robot are talking money with
envoys of Germany, France, Finland and Malaysia.

Having planned and led the kidnapping in Malaysia's Sipadan Island,
militarists Susukan and Robot insist that they should lead the talks, not
their ideologue higher-ups. Besides, they command more men than the three;
Susukan has 100, Robot has 80.

Aventajado has pleaded with the envoys not to turn the talks into an
auction, lest Susukan and Robot play them against each other for highest
bidder. But the envoys are under pressure from their governments to get
their hostaged nationals home.

Susukan and Robot have dropped their common political demands with the trio.
The European envoys had argued, and the two seemed convinced, that
separation is nonsense. They cited how Europe is uniting to be big, so why
should Mindanao secede to be small.

Susukan and Robot also cannot see how the Manila government can form a
separate Islamic state, something they should fight for instead of
ridiculously asking Manila to do. They view the council on Tausugs as
incongruous with secession; if they want to separate, why rely on Manila to
take care of provincemates in Sabah?

* * *
Aventajado called, by the way, to deny my earlier report that MILF thinks he
double-crossed them and thus warned Abu Sayyaf about it. He said Maguindanao
Sammy Gambar, an aide of MILF's Murad, even briefed him on how to deal with
Tausugs.

Okay, if you say so, but watch your back.

* * *
You can e-mail comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
<B>SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
</B><A HREF="http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/6/_/475667/_/961592213/">[  Click Here  
]</A>
------------------------------------------------------------------------




Reply via email to