From: http://www.notmilk.com/
Many of you wrote to me requesting a list of PAC donations made by Monsanto.
An interesting event has occurred. Nearly one-billion dollars were spent on
the elections, and Monsanto is aware that they are under the microscope. Do
they stop giving, or do they give in different forms that are not easily
observed? During the 2000 election cycle, Monsanto gave a total of only
$63,350 to Congress...on the record. Nobody will ever know what amounts were
invested in the form of soft money, cash money, party favors, and gifts. The
$63,350 paid to 435 members of Congress and 100 members of the Senate
averages out to $118 per member. Sure. I believe that.

The man receiving the second highest total dollars from Monsanto was Larry
Combest (R-TX). He got $2000. Combest is the powerful chairman of the House
Agriculture Committee.

Who got the most from Monsanto? The winner of the Monsanto sweepstakes with
$10,000 was John Ashcroft, (R-MO). Ever hear of the man? You will in the
coming weeks during the Senate's confirmation hearings.

Now...for those of you who are not regular readers of the notmilk column,
let's review the Bush/Monsanto connection.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT

Monsanto's lawyer was appointed to the Supreme Court by George Bush, Sr. The
deciding swing voter gave the election to George, Jr. That justice: Clarence
Thomas, Esq.

SECOND

Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense, was president of Searle
Pharmaceuticals, purchased by Monsanto.

THIRD

Ann Veneman, Secretary of Agriculture, was on the board of directors of
Calgene Pharmaceuticals, purchased by Monsanto.

FOURTH

Tommy Thompson, Secretary of Health, was a supporter of Monsanto in
Wisconsin. He received $50,000 from biotech firms is his election run, and
used state funds to set up a a $317 million biotech zone in Wisconsin.

FIFTH

Mitch Daniels, Director of the Office of Management and Budget. Daniels was
the vice president of corporate strategy at Eli Lilly Pharmaceutical Company.
Eli Lilly and Monsanto developed the genetically engineered bovine growth
hormone. Lilly "owns" the European "franchise." Daniels' presence insures
that the bovine growth hormone will one day be approved for use in Europe.

SIXTH

The House of Representatives Committee Agriculture Chairman, Larry Combest
(R-TX), has named Richard Pombo to head Agriculture's dairy, livestock, and
poultry sub-committee. Pombo will have enormous power in chairing this
committee. I remember Pombo as being a long-time member of Dairy, Livestock,
and Poultry. In 1994, the approval process for Monsanto's genetically
engineered bovine growth hormone became the greatest controversy in FDA
history. At that time, the Dairy Committee considered a bill that would label
milk and milk products containing the genetically engineered hormone. After
all, Americans had a right to know what they are eating...right?

The Dairy Committee stalled the proposed bill until the 1994 elections. When
the 1994 session of Congress expired, the bill died. It was never even voted
upon. I began to investigate milk, milk hormones, and milk politics at about
that time. I researched PAC donations, and learned that Pombo had accepted a
total of $252,600 in PAC money that year. Remarkably, $84,385 waw given to
him from private companies and groups doing business in Agriculture. Talk
about buying votes! Even more remarkable was Pombo's relationship with
Monsanto. I learned that this man had the audacity to accept money directly
from Monsanto while voting on a bill that impacted Monsanto's future, and the
future of biotechnology.

I've called that PAC donation a bribe, and I continue to do so.

BRIBERY

Bribery is defined as the act or practice of giving or accepting money or
some other payment with the object of influencing the action or judgment at a
parliamentary hearing or other election.

During the 2000 election cycle, Pombo accepted over $450,000. The dairy
industry contributed $17,100, and groups with agriculture interests "donated"
more than double the 1994 amounts. Now, Pombo runs the Dairy Committee.

SEVENTH

Last, but not least. John Ashcroft, Attorney General. The one man out of 535
members of the House of Representatives and the Senate receiving the greatest
amount of financial support from Monsanto. He received five times the amount
of money as the congressman finishing second.

Where do Americans finish in this stranger than fiction real-life drama?
Last.

Robert Cohen author of:   MILK - The Deadly Poison
(201-871-5871)
Executive Director ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Dairy Education Board
http://www.notmilk.com

Ashcroft (AND bush, Supreme Ct, etc) TOTALLY In Monsanto's Palm:
real-life Pelican Brief unfolds before us

bush presidency has MASSIVE link to chem/pharm global giant

-- "Who got the most from Monsanto?

The winner of the Monsanto sweepstakes with $10,000 was:

JOHN ASHCROFT, (R-MO).
Ever hear of the man? You will in the coming weeks during the Senate's
confirmation hearings.

Now...for those of you who are not regular readers of the notmilk column,
let's review the Bush/Monsanto connection.

First. Monsanto's lawyer was appointed to the Supreme Court by George
Bush, Sr. The deciding swing vote giving the election to George, Jr. was
made by Clarence Thomas, Esq.

Second. Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense was President of Searle
Pharmaceuticals, purchased by Monsanto.

Third. Ann Veneman, Secretary of Agriculture was on the board of
directors of Calgene Pharmaceuticals, purchased by Monsanto.

Fourth. Tommy Thompson, Secretary of
Health was a supporter of Monsanto in Wisconsin. He received $50,000
from Biotech firms is his election run, and used state funds to set up a
a $317 million dollar biotech zone in Wisconsin.

Fifth. Mitch Daniels, Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
Daniels was the vice president of corporate strategy at Eli Lilly
Pharmaceutical company. Eli Lilly and Monsanto developed the genetically
engineered bovine growth hormone. Lilly "owns" the European "franchise."
Daniels presence insures that the bovine growth hormone will one day be
approved for use in Europe.

Sixth. Last, but not least. John Ashcroft, Attorney General. Winner of
the Monsanto PAC sweepstakes. -- "
Robert Cohen