-Caveat Lector-

The NSA is so short on translators that even though some messages
relevant to these terrorist were intercepted, they were never
translated.  Tony Snow conducted several interviews on this subject
this morning.  Five days before the attack the CIA informed FBI
that one of the hijackers, who was on the list as a possible
terrorist, was in the country but the FBI could find no presence of
him within the country.  No evidence that he was up to something,
just that he was in the country.

Even once Intel is gathered, this interview stated, there are 8-10
congressional committees who deal with various aspects of it.
They are working to streamline all of this so that Intel can get to
the top level much more quickly.  The agencies cannot take action
on their own and have to present the information which then works
its way to whomever does take action. It will take years to build
up these agencies as we have relatively no people on the ground in
foreign countries, no ''spies" in the traditional sense and few
contacts.  This is not acceptable in the present situation so they
are working to find some solution to give immediate results.  We
are basically reduced to 'tips' provided by other governments with
superior institutions in place.  While we have the technology and
equipment, we do not have the people and the background checks
required, etc. prohibit just hiring off the streets.  This was a
bad decision in the past and we will have to live with the
consequences for some time to come.  We, as in our leaders and
congress, underestimated the danger.  I think this may have been
due to the fact that nothing of this scale had ever happened before
and we were implementing drastic cuts in the military budget.

I wish I had the transcript of former Station Chief Bruner with on
Fox news but it is only available with paid subscription.  Some of
the rules (presidential directives) under which the Intel community
have been operating for years have included such things as not
hiring paid informants with questionable backgrounds or criminal
convictions. This is because many in the public do not
differentiate between an agent of the agency and a paid street
thug.  They see them equally as CIA.  So we cannot interact with
those most likely to know what criminals are up to, other
criminals.  Also, we were not to get information from people with
"possible human rights violations" in their past. So basically, our
"spies" were to be in contact with 'embassy types' who are not
likely to be involved with the criminal element and so of little
value. Until we can train our own, we will have to depend in part
on the agencies of other countries for some help.  Fortunately,
many countries friendly to us have extensive networks already in
place.

So it is easy in hindsight to see that this maybe should not have
been allowed to happen to our Intel community, in times of relative
peace, it does seem redundant for the whole world to be awash in
spies.  Let's just hope we can do whatever it takes to get the
information we need in a timely manner in the future. Congress is
working on it even over the weekend.  All per several interviews
this morning on Tony Snow's program.
Amelia