No, not a paste-o but an actual typo. :) I am not using a windowing system on
the machine I was trying to compile ctwm on, so I hand typed all the messages
which were quoted on another machine. That was just a typo, and sorry I should
have prefaced things by saying I wasn't pasting but retyping things. I'm quite
sure there was a "." there where it was supposed to be.

You appear to be correct - asciidoc is not a package installed by default in
Leap 42.3. It is something that can be added manually. The command 'make ctwm'
does complete the binary without complaint skipping the man tree entirely.

Installing the asciidoc package on Leap 42.3 installs TeXlive and a lot of
other packages. But it does allow for a clean "make" command all the way
through, so your supposition about what was wrong seems correct.

The created binary runs, but it crashes a lot, and in fact often when I run
"YAST" in text mode in an Xterm, it will just crash the whole window manager to
the login screen. This is pretty much on par with the behavior I got with CTWM
3.8.2 on the same machine.

This has only started in Leap 42.3 - I'm still running Leap 42.2 & previous
versions just fine (and those all have CTWM 3.8.2 & 3.8.1 installed on them),
so OpenSuSe has changed something rather dramatic in 42.3 that is affecting
this. I don't know if it's how multi-core stuff is handled, or what. But
basically CTWM 3.8 & 4.0.1 won't work for very long so far under Leap 42.3.
Leap 42.3 also crashed while installing on an older Dell 2950 2U server (which
handles VMware & other things just fine) so they may have gotten rid of some
kind of support for older CPU features and just have a buggy way of detecting
or dealing with it.

I will say though that one behavior I saw (briefly before CTWM crashed) was
that where before (3.8) I had a nice little box in the lower right labelled
"one" "two" "three" and "four" for my different desktops, those were replaced
with pictographs of what's running on them. This kind of defeats the purpose of
me labelling them in the .ctwmrc file, and is fanciness that I'd rather be able
to toggle in what should be a relatively simple desktop manager. Additionally I
now have to guess where to click for another desktop, because anything that
doesn't have something running on it is blank - and that makes it a big blank
box to start. If that's something that can be toggled and turned off, and the
old behavior (of labelled desktops) returned I'd appreciate that.

But the big problem is the crashing. I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu, but will
switch to it if I have to to get reliable CTWM behavior. That's really all I
want out of this. I am doing this on an older Toshiba Portege m750 which is my
default hardware platform. This one claims to have a "Centrino vPro" inside,
but the CPU on these things actually varies a bit (most are Core2 Duos or
something of that vintage).

Thanks for the help.

  - Mowgli