>   if(tmp_win && tmp_win->full_name != "npviewer.bin")
>     XSetInputFocus (dpy, w, RevertToPointerRoot, tim);

Sorry.  I take back what I just said.  The above works
because it is essentially an implementation of sloppy focus,
since focus is not being given back to the root window
(when tmp_window is NULL).

What happens is that after the fullscreen window has been
realized, the focus is subsequently given back to root
(SetFocus is called with tmp_win set to NULL).  This happens
from function HandleLeaveNotify, where it says "pretend there
was a focus out".  Any idea why this is there?  If I comment
out that call to SetFocus, flash fullscreen works without any
other changes, and everything (so far) seems to work as before.