> I used the change in the second message, and it works. Amazing!
>
> So I can now abandon openbox and go back to ctwm.
>
> However, I had to do some extra work to make the keyboard work as it
> did previously.

[snip]

Yes, I realize my suggestion is most likely not the correct way
to solve the problem, just an intermediate step in trying to
figure out what the problem actually is.

I admit I'm a bit confused at the moment.  In gwm, my workaround
is to call set-focus on enter-window for all windows except the
flash window.  However, the problem appears not to be giving the
focus to the flash window, but removing the focus from the
*firefox* window.  The sequence of events is:

  add flash window
  leave firefox window
    (give focus back to root)  <--(*)
  enter flash window
    (give focus to flash window)

Apparently, firefox losing focus in step (*) above causes
the flash window to close again, because commenting out that
particular SetFocus call disables step (*).