Hi Christopher and thanks for the comments from you and other respondents.

To answer your question:

 * A PHP script on the "admin" server can successfully make a Curl
   connection to all other hosts we've tried.
 * In addition, a PHP script on ANY OTHER machine we've tried can
   successfully make a Curl connection with the "streams" host.

It's solely that we can't get a script on "admin" to make a successful Curl connection with "streams".

My suspicion at this point is that we have a DNS issue, though I don't know what it might be. The domain is hosted by a third party and on their system we have A records for both "streams" and "admin" - but that's all. "streams" has been running successfully for two years without any evident DNS issues.

The "admin" host is a cPanel system from our hosting provider - with the limitations on access that implies. The "streams" host is a dedicated Linux server.

I am wondering what would happen if I deleted the A record for the "admin" machine and simply used its default hostname as given by our service provider. It's not going to be a publicly-accessed machine anyway.

Doing a few searches I see that it is apparently not unknown to get curl connection failures on two hosts within the same domain, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent cause. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

--Richard E