In xsrc/external/mit/xf86-input-ws/dist/src/ws.c there is this fragment:

#if GET_ABI_MAJOR(ABI_XINPUT_VERSION) >= 14
                if (hscroll || vscroll) {
                        xf86Msg(X_WARNING, "%s: hscroll=%d, vscroll=%d\n",
                            pInfo->name, hscroll, vscroll);
                        valuator_mask_zero(priv->scroll_mask);
                        valuator_mask_set_double(priv->scroll_mask,
                            HSCROLL_AXIS, (double) hscroll);
                        valuator_mask_set_double(priv->scroll_mask,
                            VSCROLL_AXIS, (double) vscroll);
                        xf86PostMotionEventM(pInfo->dev, FALSE,
priv->scroll_mask);
                }
#endif

and it prints this warning every time I scroll using the touchpad on my
ThinkPad. Apparently it is a "new" way for touchpads to report scrolling
(both horizontal and vertica).

These messages are filling up my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and wearing out my
NVMe unnecesarily.

This touchpad method is not supported by the xf86-input-mouse driver so
with that one the touchpad doesn't scroll.

Shall I just remove the warning?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            <rhialto/at/falu.nl>
\X/ There is no AI. There is just someone else's work.           --I. Rose