David O'Brien wrote:
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:39:22PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
I've attached a patch which does what I described above for CPIO, and
adds a knob to turn off building of GNU grep. When we get to the point
where bsd grep is imported into the base system, I would do the same in
HEAD/8-current for bsd grep as I am proposing we do for cpio.
Doug,
Before changing the default grep away from GNU grep, please have a full
and wide discussion.
FWIW, I'm not the driving force for changing cpio, I'm just helping
with the knobs.
cpio is one thing, but GNU grep is faster than any
alternative so far (educated me if other greps are finally faster).
According to Gabor his latest version compares favorably. However,
when I did some quick tests of his new version the first two tests I
did were unsuccessful based on compatibility issues, so I'm not in any
way suggesting that we're ready to move forward on that. I added a
knob to NOT build gnu grep which will make further testing easier for
those who are interested.
Speed of grep is a tier-1 feature.
I agree with you on that, but keep in mind that _if_ we want to ship
8.0-RELEASE with a BSD licensed grep the default would have to be
changed in HEAD sooner rather than later. That's the only way it'll
get any kind of useful testing. Default settings to build old versions
of critical tools can always be reversed prior to a -RELEASE.
Doug
--
This .signature sanitized for your protection
_______________________________________________
[email protected] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/cvs-all
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"