Red Hat adopted the following definition of a weakness a year or so ago. "A
weakness is specifically the absence of a safeguard in an asset or process
that provides a higher potential or frequency of a threat occurring, but
does not meet the exploitability criteria for a vulnerability."  We've also
defined vulnerability much more broadly to include weaknesses as a subset
"A weakness or absence of a safeguard in an asset that provides a higher
potential or frequency of a threat occurring."  We were running into
differing opinions when we looked at each as separate and unique.  The
other factor we've called out internally is hardening.  The key difference
between a weakness and hardening for us is that a weakness is a direct
factor in the potential and frequency vs hardening which are safeguards
which prevent.

--

Jeremy West

Red Hat Product Security