Dear CWE Community,

We are thrilled to announce that CWE version 4.11 is now available on our
website - https://cwe.mitre.org<https://cwe.mitre.org/>. Thank you to all our
content submitters for your time and efforts to collaborate and make this
release possible, especially the significant contributions by the CWE
UEWG<https://cwe.mitre.org/community/working_groups.html#ue_wg>, CWE Hardware
SIG<https://cwe.mitre.org/community/working_groups.html#hw_sig>, and CWE ICS/OT
SIG<https://cwe.mitre.org/community/working_groups.html#ics_ot_sig>, as noted
below.

A detailed report listing the specific changes between Version 4.10 and 4.11
can be found here (diff
report<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/reports/diff_reports/v4.10_v4.11.html>), but
below I have listed some of the key highlights:

  *   Added a new "Custom" presentation filter that allows users to choose from
a list of options to display only those weakness details that are most relevant
to them when viewing CWE List information. This new filter, as well as the
previously released Conceptual, Operational, Mapping Friendly, and Complete
(Default) presentation filters, were developed by the CWE Team in collaboration
with the CWE User Experience Working Group
(UEWG)<https://cwe.mitre.org/community/working_groups.html#ue_wg>. Learn more
here<https://cwe.mitre.org/news/index.html#april272023_New_Custom_Filter_for_Viewing_CWE_Weaknesses>.
  *   Updated many CWEs to include ICS/OT-specific details including mappings
to the ISA/IEC
62443<https://www.isa.org/standards-and-publications/isa-standards/isa-iec-62443-series-of-standards>
 standard and categories of ICS/OT vulnerabilities, as contributed by the
"Mapping
CWE<https://medium.com/@CWE_CAPEC/community-actively-working-to-enhance-cwes-ics-ot-coverage-1b4f7bf0a6dd>"
 and "Boosting
CWE<https://medium.com/@CWE_CAPEC/community-actively-working-to-enhance-cwes-ics-ot-coverage-1b4f7bf0a6dd>"
 subgroups of the CWE ICS/OT
SIG<https://cwe.mitre.org/community/working_groups.html#ics_ot_sig>.
  *   Added a new Comprehensive Categorization for Software Assurance Trends
View<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/1400.html> that places all
weaknesses into groupings, such as "memory safety," to facilitate analysis of
trends and priorities in software assurance.
  *   Updated the Software Development
View<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/699.html> to reduce size, add
newer/relevant CWEs, minimize use of CWEs that are not Base level, and reduce
overlap such as parent/child weaknesses under the same category.
  *   Changed the Weaknesses Introduced During Design
View<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/701.html> to focus solely on
Base-level weaknesses that are introduced during design; changed the mode of
introduction for many CWE entries to add or remove the design phase accordingly.
  *   Modernized memory-safety related mitigations based on
D3FEND<https://d3fend.mitre.org/>.
  *   Added Mapping Notes to over 300 Categories to emphasize that mapping
specific vulnerabilities to Category entries is prohibited.
  *   Updated phrasing in several Hardware-related entries based on community
feedback.
  *   Added some observed examples for some hardware CWEs.
  *   Changed specific mentions of JTAG in several Hardware CWE entries opting
for a more generic language talking about debug interfaces instead.
  *   Added demonstrative examples written in Python and Go.
  *   Updated content related to cloud storage.
  *   Added automated code analysis detection methods to many CWEs.
  *   Updated stale URLs for hundreds of references used throughout CWE.

We are really excited about this release, and we look forward to you diving
into the new content. On behalf of the CWE Team, thank you for your continued
support of the CWE Program.

Cheers,
Alec

--