I'm no longer using cx_Freeze, so my opinion isn't that important, but I
think this is a reasonable approach - things do seem to be slowly moving
towards Python 3, and as you say, cx_Freeze 5.x will still be available for
people who want to use it for Python 2.

I'm planning a similar move for Pynsist 2.0 to reduce the number of
different cases it needs to handle.

Thomas