From:   "EVANS,CHRIS (HP-Unitedkingdom,ex1)", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David Chappell wrote:

>OK, I have been using black powder for a very long time -
>I will say again that black powder is NOT corrosive. It
>does not contain anything that is corrosive, nor do the
>products of combustion contain anything that is.

BP contains Potassium Nitrate (75% by weight), an
oxidiser which will oxidise (rust) steel in the presence
of moisture. Also, one of the products of combustion is
Sulphuric acid, a recognised corrosive which will attack
steel.

<snip>

>Get some clean mild steel sheet, ignite a quantity of
>black powder on one and a quantity of Pyrodex on another.
>Then leave it and see for yourself.

Bad test.  The conditions of combustion are so different
from those in a Firearm (pressure, temperature, percussion
cap products) that no conclusion can be drawn from such
a test.

I do agree that in general BP and Pyrodex are not so bad
as they are portrayed (in modern Firearms that is -
wouldn't take any chances with an antique) and that
Pyrodex is more aggressive than BP.  From my own recent
experience, my blued repro Remington survived being left
uncleaned for three weeks with no ill effects (it had a
liberal layer of WD40 applied at the range after firing
appx 50 rounds).

>I also tried hitting some black powder with a hammer,
>I got smaller grains!

Also agreed - it takes a massive impact to ignite BP,
 - or a teeny tiny spark, such as may be produced by a
steel hammer.

Chris

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]