From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Its all very well being monday mornign quarterbacks on
this but the main problem with most police shootings is
that they are not equipped with an escalating response to
situations.

Most Police shootings are completely avoidable if the
officers concerned had had better training and more
resources including less than lethal weapons to
deploy. A dog is usually the best diversionary Policing
tool to take a suspect unharmed. Dogs are rarely injured
in those siutations and Second Chance already make canine
body armour. In other situations the total inabilty or
willingness of the Police to negotiate the suspect to
surrender is a factor as is their poor training such as
weapon retention and disarming skills which is basic
knowledge but never taught to them.

Thirdly the total lack of portfolio of less than lethal
weapons is a disgrace. They have the option of using
Pepper Gas foggers at close range (up to 10 yards), 12 ga
beanbag rounds, rubber sting balls and baton loads.
Flash bangs and stun grenades are basic kit but they
don't have them or won't use them - they'd rather end
up killing someone first without making the effort to
avoid bloodshed.

Given those facts and the level of training and
equipment available, had I been there in that situation
and without the training I have, I would have shot the
bloke as well. With my current training and the same
equipment I would have tried to negotiate with the bloke
working my way closer to him and then gone for the disarm
making sure that any shooting that was going to
happen was going into my Second Chance vest, not me.

Guy Savage

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]