From:   nick royall, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Neil's comments about the miners strike are true but that was using a
section of the police for political purposes on the instruction of the prime
minister. Avon and Somerset were chosen because no police from a mining area
would do the dirty work and their Chief Constable did not ask too many
questions as long as the govt met the overtime bill.
My comments were about a change in the policing policy within the Met
originally which has spread elsewhere by design rather than default. It
starts with recruitment policy and goes to the very top, ie how the police
constabularies are managed by the political authorities and how their powers
and make up have changed. I do not want to see police officers perpetually
used as Aunt Sallies, either in riots like Brixton nor in political
confrontations like industrial disputes where they are really there to act
as the private security for Murdoch and his ilk. There is bugger all in the
oath about that! There was a change in policing policy that deeply disturbed
a good few officers of middle to senior rank- those who had to implement the
policy to a whole station for example-and that change has never been made
clear so politicians or the public cannot discuss it. For many in the lower
ranks this was compensated for by a decent hike in salaries but a price was
extracted later (eg miners strike)and I would suggest is still being paid
for now by the changes in the duties police officers are expected to
perform. An example would be the difference between upholding the law and
enforcing bad law.

Nick
Why me?

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]