From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>"No retrospective legislation" does that mean that those in possesion of
>handguns at the time of the ban could keep them and that the ban only
>applied to future aquisitions? I believe this is the way it works in the
>States, if youve got one when they ban it, you keep it but cannot sell
>it or buy another one. Could this be the basis for an appeal? We would
>be in a better position to argue the point if our firearms were returned
>and the crime rate did not increase. We could reasonably say that when
>the ban was total the incidence of shootings with handguns went up, and
>having been given back our guns it had stayed the same.
>
>--
>Dave Reay
>--
>I did argue this point with the Home Office at the time but with no
>effect.  Their argument was that it wasn't retrospective legislation
>and compensation was being paid anyway.
>
>Steve.

        Steve,

        Yes, but, you now have the necessary proof that
the suppositions of the GCN and the others who were agitating
against you were -- and are -- wrong.
        You were not the problem, and never were.
        Certainly if you must make that salient point to them
and additionally point out that your group of citizens were never
a statistical problem for either the police or the other areas of
law enforcement and administration, then your 'privileges'
should be fully restored. If none of the prior firearms owners
has since been accosted for illegal possession of outlawed arms,
then it points statistically significant that you were not ever the
problem.
        And if you were not the problem, then the law must
be changed to reflect to truth of the matter, not a political
assumption that lacks every essence of proof.

ET
--
The problem with the argument on retrospective legislation
is that even if we successfully argued it in court, the

The guns have been destroyed, so the court would order
proper compensation be paid.  But we already have compensation
for the guns (various spare parts not included) so it wouldn't
help.  You might be able to argue some sort of punitive
damages I suppose but that is a really long shot.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]