From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>As there has been so much venom vented on this topic, I would love to know
>what views the contributors hold on the subject of who should not be allowed
>to hold a firearm or shotgun certificate.
>I take it that it is the general consensus that there should be at least
>some restriction somewhere along the line?
>I would find it most illuminating to know whether the classes of people I
>categorise as dodgy are different to anyone else.
        --snip--

>I will not change my opinions on this one.
>I see them all. You only see some.
>
>IG
>--
>The only gun law I have ever really felt is worthwhile is a background
>check before a person takes possession.  Licensing, registration,
>all the rest of it is largely worthless because once a person has
>a gun, they can misuse it if they choose.  I did submit a very
>comprehensive paper to the HO outlining a new licensing system,
>although that was based largely with an eye on the political
>realities of the situation.
        --snip
>If it was intended to protect public safety it would have long
>since been centralised under a central administration, like
>virtually everything to do with cars, planes and most other
>things has.
>
>Steve.

        Steve, & IG,

        Having been here before, I will only say that I agree with
Steve. And, IG? You have the laws that you must contend with, as a
sworn member of your force. I would not have your job for any
amount of money. My personal philosophy on liberty would prevent
any such happenstance.  If ordered to perform it, I would refuse.
        It is one of the prime reasons that I would not accept a job
in any police force: I could not find myself enforcing laws antithetical
to my beliefs. If the laws were simple in the tenets of liberty, then I
would have no compunctions.
        Whatever you do is your own business, but if enough men
and women in the police forces were to object to such duties on the
grounds that they were objectionable, and accomplished little in the
way of reducing crime and added safety, then things might change.
        And, as Steve commented in an earlier post, by what measure
of the law is a man or woman considered 'dodgy'?
        And, I'd like to ask one simple question: what is so wrong with
just wanting something? Is that such a crime? When people are reduced
to begging to be able to do something that would otherwise not harm
anyone, you really have to wonder just what is next. Know what I mean?
        As for myself, I intend to be a large roadblock on the way to
hell: If I can convince enough people to march in the other direction
that the rest start to follow, I won't mind at all that hell is on my heels!
--
Let's make one thing clear here, even if I was a member of mom and
a clone of Sarah Brady I still wouldn't be advocating the British

Virtually every British colony or possession had this system
imposed on them, from New Zealand to Canada, and nearly all of them
have scrapped it.  Australia, Canada, India, Pakistan, New Zealand,
even the Falkland Islands all have licensing and registration
to one degree or another, but their systems of control are
substantially different.  The only place I have found of any
size that still uses the British system is good old Lesotho!

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]