Wow! Why is there this strange little voice in my head saying that actually sounds "fun?" Congratulations! kp
--- On Mon, 2/7/11, Tim & Susan <[email protected]> wrote: From: Tim & Susan <[email protected]> Subject: [COWs] 600K Ride Report!! To: [email protected] Date: Monday, February 7, 2011, 10:29 PM You knew it was coming! 600k (Feb.5, 2011) I had already bagged a 200K and a 300K brevet this year and was planning on a 400K Saturday but there was a big party brewing for the 600K as we’re having company from a couple of randos from Seattle. One being Mr. RUSA VP himself! Mark Thomas. Also we have former VP Mike D. from Raleigh . There were 10 of us total for this ride. 7 very seasoned endurance cyclist and 3 rookie class cyclist. More on that later. We are gathered at the start, 7:30am watching the radar trying to make sense of what we’re getting ready to do. Now there is no rain and 40 degrees but the radar said “brace yourself”. We start out with like 20 riders, half doing the 600K and the other half doing a 200, 300 or 400K. John o. does the 300K. We stay dry for the first hour or so then the showers start. Off and on for hours and hours and hours. Just before reaching Wallace (mile 85) we run into this wall of warm air that is like a 15 degree instant warm-up. It was like 42 degrees then 58 degrees 20 seconds later. Everything fogged up instantly, glasses, computers, mirrors. We all stopped for lunch at Andy’s in Wallace. I passed on the milkshake but several were being delivered to hearty riders. The 10 of us continue to stay together. All afternoon, it’s like raining, it stops, rider calls out I think it’s clearing to raining again. This pattern continues until bedtime. We stop for dinner at Subway in Garland at mile 185. All rain gear sucks after 3 or 4 hours regardless of how much you spend. From there we head to White Lake . (mile 197) Tony meets us there with our drop bags. (A dry set of cloths never felt soooo good) Some riders have gotten motel rooms there but I packed an air mattress in my drop bag and find a corner in our common room, fix some warm noodles to eat as we bed down. All the seasoned riders have beds. The 3 rookies sleep on the floor. Too cheap to get a room or just lack of experience. Lights out at midnight. Alarms set for 3:00am. I either over hydrated or just plain waterlogged but I made 3 trips to the bathroom during that 3 hours. At best I got a couple hours of sleep before someone’s alarm prematurely went off at 2:45am. Light on at 3:00am. Well d…m it stopped raining. Temp is like 38 degrees. It doesn’t take long to warm up as we cruise out at 3:30. Our next destination is Shallotte. (mile 258) My legs are in good shape, but my head is in a fog. I can’t focus, drowsy, and I need more sleep. I start playing head games now, losing my confidence and wondering how I’m gonna get through this day. Wearing wet cloths all day has created some major chafing as well and it’s all putting me in a lousy mood. Sun comes up and soon after Waffle House, a huge breakfast and several cups of coffee. Things start improving. On to Sunset beach under clearing skies. It’s gonna be a great day. 270 miles down and we start for home, only 107 miles to go. This is the first time the group splits up. Bryan starts out first. I follow just a few minutes later as some of the others are packing gear from a motel room we had at Sunset in case we needed it, and the Seattle guys had to visit the beach while there. I soft pedal for about an hour solo to clear my head while waiting for the group. First group of 4 pass and I grab a wheel. Jimmy is up front and he has dropped the hammer. The west coast guys and Joel are still behind us. Bryan and Steven in front but we catch them quickly. Jimmy and Steven are looking to get this finished and we’re cruising 20 mph 300 miles into a ride. Now Ian and I are the last two left riding with them at this pace to Tabor City as we cross briefly into South Carolina . There Ian and I wait for others as J & S head on. A longish break there as the rest of us regroup. I enjoy just sitting outside basking in the sun. County line sign up ahead, Mark and I both have our eyes on it as we pull out of line. It’s west coast against east coast. My legs have just enough to take the sprint. We’re now in Boardman. 47 miles to go. Tony is there to see if we need anything. Claims it’ll take us 4 hours to finish because we’re tired and rider John E. takes it as a personal insult and just storms out down the road. He is on a mission and we are working hard to keep the pace but it pays off. Finally Ian and I are the only ones left riding with him. Ian takes me down on the next county line sprint. In randoneauring sprints have little meaning unless you have a few hundred miles in and then it gets serious. Last control, 350 miles down and 27 more to go. We regroup again now hoping we can finish before the sun sets again…. The last county line down the road. I here Joe encouraging Mark in front of me. I check for Ian as well as he is also still riding strong. Mark goes and I go and east coast rules. I pick up the pace a tad as I don’t have my lights rigged up and would like to finish without stopping again to do that. The last few miles we chill and start celebrating a bit. The sun beat us home by just a few minutes but we’re delighted to put this one in the books. 6:00pm. 35 hours later. And you thought this report was long. We pose for a few bad pictures. I pack and change cloths, say my good-byes to everyone. Bryan rides up as he took it a bit easier the last few miles in. I drive home from Lumberton and catch the second half of the game with my dad. Weekend over! Back to work! -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CyclistsOfWilson-COWs" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cyclistsofwilson-cows?hl=en.
