>4) Since mingw is becoming so logically separated from gcc, it is possible that
>   it could become a separate package.  So, if "someone" was willing to supply
>   a gcc-mingw package, it would actually be helpful.  I don't think I could
>   stand the pain of making this optional, so the gcc package would rely on
>   the gcc-mingw package rather than the other way around. This would allow
>   updating libgcc.a and libstdc++.a without requiring a new release of gcc.
>   Hmm.  I wonder if I should break libstdc++.a out of the gcc package.  Urgh.
>   Any suckers (cough) want to contribute a separate package?

I believe Chuck was working on a mingw cross environment that resided on
/opt/mingw.  You could do similar and setup a wrapper with the ability
to determine (based on the flags) which gcc to use.  Dunno how useful
that would be...  Also, perhaps gcc2 could remain, but be named gcc2,
etc.  ?  This way gcc 3.1 is the default, but people could optionally
use gcc 2 if needs be.  This is a real tough one, though.  It's too bad
that you can't pass a flag to gcc 3.1 to turn on v2 compatibility mode
(like CC="gcc -v2") but I suppose that is too simplistic...  One thing
is for sure, it's almost as bad as the major number changes in glibc.

Cheers,
Nicholas