RTFM! Do "man xinit" from the Cygwin command-line and read the 1st 3 paragraphs.

From: Jean-Claude Gervais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: XWin.exe <--> xinit link
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:08:07 -0500

Thanks Artur,

But that's not quite the info I was looking for;

You see, when I type startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh, I get a DIFFERENT
result than from starting xinit by itself.

Yet, xinit does start XWin, only it is starting it in windowed mode...
Which is OK, but I'm just wondering WHERE does xinit get this from? Is it
executing a script?