On 25/02/2015 14:30, GEORGE BARRICK wrote:
    I have one small note for other folks who might like to run their
system in a way similar to mine.  I like to have xlaunch automatically
start a single colored xterm for me (in multi-window mode).  After
that I just open more from the command line as it suits me.  If I use
the command line embedded in the installed xlaunch.lnk file:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe

it always prompts me through the tiresome "configure & start" GUI at
the beginning.  Adding the phrase

-run ~/config/config.xlaunch

at the end of that command line always gets ignored in favor of the
"configure & start" GUI.

You need to quote the whole command line for bash after the -c, otherwise bash treats words after the first one as positional parameters.

However, getting this quotation passed correctly through run requires a little bit of gymnastics, but this should work:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "xlaunch -run ~/config/config.xlaunch"

However, when I strip the invocation of the
bash from that command:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run ~/config/config.xlaunch

the xlaunch goes right ahead to run the single xterm that's described
in my ~/config/config.xlaunch file.

This is not quite equivalent as there is no login shell in the ancestry of whatever your config.xlaunch starts, so your ~/.profile may not have been read.

For that reason, using 'bash -l -c ""' is preferred and that's what start menu links that cygwin installs generally use.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer