On 12/30/2009 08:30 AM, tuli tanssi wrote:
Hi,

I've been using gcc and other tools in older versions of cygwin with
32-bit Windows XP and Vista from windows command prompt (cmd.exe)
without problems. But now I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, and some command
line tools like gcc.exe do not work anymore (from cmd.exe). They do
work ok from Cygwin's bash.

The message I get when trying to run gcc in cmd.exe is: "Access is denied."

Anyway, only some tools don't work, e.g. 'ls' works ok from cmd.exe.

I noticed that all cygwin tools that are actually symbolic links to
somehere else (just like /bin/gcc.exe and some others) are the
problematic tools.
Also /bin/gcc.exe has System rights (as seen by Attrib command of
windows), while tools that do work have only Archive rights.

So the I guess the problem is related to how symbolic links are
created and with what rights.

Anyone else tried this? Any solutions?

This is a known limitation of the symbolic links in Cygwin 1.7.  The solution
is to invoke the command directly ('gcc-3.exe' or 'gcc-4.exe' in this case) or
create your own batch file wrappers or DOS aliases to point to the proper
alternative.  Another might be to set "winsymlinks" in the CYGWIN environment
variable <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html> and recreate
the symlinks you want that way.  The clear downside to this approach is that
it won't handle international characters in file names/paths properly. As a result
one might guess this is not the recommended solution.  And one would be
right! ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746