On 11/24/20 11:35 AM, sten.kristian.ivars...@gmail.com wrote:
[snip]

std::filesystem POSIX mode is common to all POSIX platforms where
backslashes are NOT directory separators. How do you make them accept your
demands? How are you going to force POSIX platforms allow Windows specific
code?

I've been trying to say over and over again that our code doesn't handle any
Windows specific stuff and not anywhere have I claimed that anyone else need to
handle Windows specific stuff either (except for the internals of Cygwin of
which Windows specific logic is already present)

I repeat; I don't expect any of the Cygwin-Posix-functions to accept any
Windows-style-paths (though some of them, as I repeatedly have said, already
does so) and I only expect that I can operate according to the C++-standard on
an instantiated std::filesystem::path

How do you expect std::filesystem to do that when Windows paths are not even accepted in API calls?

Make it try to enter subdirectories every time std::filesystem is
called?

You refuse to understand that Cygwin is NOT Windows, it is a POSIX
platform. Using Cygwin means complying with POSIX expectations and
standards.

I don't see how this conversation can continue if you still refuse to see
Cygwin as something separate from Windows. Besides, you have already
answered your question by ruling out MinGW, so Microsoft Visual Studio it
is.

I repeat (again); neither MinGW/MSVS is an option because we're trying to use
Posix and C++

Just to be clear:

- Our code DOESN'T handle Windows-style-paths explicitly in any way
- We DON'T expect Cygwin-Posix-file-related-functions to accept
Windows-style-paths
- We WOULD like std::filesystem to work according to the C++ ISO standard

Why would std::filesystem be an exception? How would it know if a backslash is part of a name and not a separator? How does it know when to apply exceptions? What about mixed paths?

The C++ standard mentions separators, not specific characters, and the forward slash is used under Cygwin, not the Windows backslash.

The bigger question would be how would you expect a Cygwin application to even accept a Windows paths. It should use *nix paths, as all Cygwin programs do.