On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:36:12PM +0200, Valerio Messina wrote:
>On 8/11/21 1:26 PM, Russell VT via Cygwin wrote:
>>Can one of you powerful folks, please, fix the signup approvals and make it
>>a bit more difficult to signup and account that is "allowed" to post on
>>this list?
>
>as now the subscribe procedure is a simple:
>1) fill form with name, email and pass
>2) press the Subscribe button
>3) receive a confirmation mail
>4) follow the link in the mail
>5) press the subscribe button in the new web page
>all steps are easily script-able with 'curl'
>So in my opinion first thing to do is to add a CAPTCHA [1] in the step 1

You can post to this list without subscribing so this wouldn't
accomplish anything besides annoying people who want to subscribe.

>I tried to contact the list admin sent from IP: 8.43.85.97
>that is <n...@redhat.com> asking for removal of spammers once we
>received every spam, but spamming continue.

That email address has nothing (or at least very little) to do with
cygwin.com / sourceware.org.  The right address is "postmaster", which
is monitored by me.  That said, I sure do not want to hear from
"helpful" people pointing out spam.  I monitor multiple lists for spam,
block offending parties, and generate rules for spamassassin to stop