On 2021-10-01 11:38, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
On 10/1/2021 1:27 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
Installing "git" from the Cygwin repository seems to fix this problem.
    So I suggest uninstalling "git" and see if you can figure out where
the message is actually coming from.  It doesn't appear to be coming
from anything in my environment.  I must have "git" installed at home,
which is why I don't see the message there.

I already tried moving my git executable out of the way, and I couldn't
reproduce the problem.  Do you see the message at home if you do the same?

I don't see the problem at home. I do not have git installed there.

I noticed that at work, I had a ~/.git directory.  I renamed that and
the problem went away.

Great, I'm glad you figured it out.  This might still be an emacs bug. I'll see about getting it fixed.

Thanks for the report.

Sounds like a Version Control mode (M-X vc?) supporting git is installed, emacs is trying to enter some kind of git mode when a .git subdirectory is present, and is not finding either an emacs git.el or the git command in the PATH?