I recently (finally) installed Windows 10 on my system (clean install).  All of my files are stored in on a secondary drive/partition, on which cygwin is also installed.  I expected to be able to just pick up where I left off, but I'm getting all sorts of permissions issues with cygwin.  I did run the cygwin setup again to reinstall/upgrade.

First, I had restore my cygwin home directory from a backup, since it was giving me permissions errors on .bash_history, .ssh, etc, but the biggest headache is with git repos.  First, it gives a "fatal: unsafe repository" error.  If I add it to the safe directories list, it git still has to reindex the repo every time I run `git status`, and it still fails when I try to enter a commit.

It seems most or everything is owned by "Administrators".  The only way I've been able to fix this is to go through the Windows advanced permissions dialog, change the owner to my user, and set all sub-objects to inheritable permissions, but I'm very leery about mass changes like this.

Why did this happen?  And is there a better/safer/correct way to fix this?

Thanks
 - Brent