On 2022-06-02 10:14, Bill Stewart wrote:
On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 6:44 AM Brent Epp wrote:

In the [Security] tab for these files or directories, under "Group or
user names", it lists the owner as "Account Unknown(S-...)".  In some
cases, these files are completely inaccessible and I can't even take
ownership or change the permissions.  I have to either restore them from
a backup or boot to a Linux environment to access them.

Windows displays "Account Unknown" (with a SID) in the ACL when it can't
resolve the SID reference.

There can be a number of reasons for this. One common reason is that the
SID belongs to a domain account and the domain is not accessible. Another
is that the SID belongs to a local account on a different computer (e.g., a
removable disk is moved between computers and local accounts are in the
ACL).
This is essentially what happened (removable disk moved from one computer to another).

Well-known SIDs (e.g., S-1-5-32-544 for the local Administrators
group, etc.) should resolve from any computer.
I would think so too, but that doesn't appear to be happening.If it makes a difference, the SID actually starts with S-1-5-21. I have to manually take ownership in order to even access the files at all.

 - Brent