On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 18:20, Jim Garrison via Cygwin wrote:

> On 11/21/22 08:03, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 14:19, Michel Robitaille wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Running setup-x86_64.exe (version 3.3.6) requires an app on Windows 11
> >> (fully up to date).
> >> It is looking for an app that does not exist with Microsoft Store.
> >>
> >> This was not required for any of the previous version.
> >>
> >> Is there a solution to fix this?
> >> For now I am using the previous version.
> >
> > I'm not seeing any problems using the latest installer, and I can't
> > imagine why the installer would try to direct you to the Microsoft
> > Store for any reason, let alone for an app that doesn't exist.
> >
> > Can you please provide some more information about exactly what you're
> > doing and exactly what behaviour you're seeing?
> >
> > There's also a lot of guidance on useful information to include in
> > problem reports at https://cygwin.com/problems.html.
> >

> I just tried the new setup and see what I think is the same thing,
> but the original description was munged by non-native English.
>
> I believe this is the "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen" warning.  It
> pops up a blue window saying
>
> Windows protected your PC
> Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from
> starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.  More info.
>
> The only button on this popup says "Don't run".  However, if you
> click "More Info", which is underlined, you get additional info
>
> App:       setup-x86_64.exe
> Publisher: Unknown publisher
>
> and another button "Run anyway", which allows setup-x86_64 to run.

Ah, that's unfortunate but normal: SmartScreen learns what's safe to
run in part based on what other folk have downloaded and run without
issue. When there's a new installer released, it inherently hasn't
been downloaded and run by many people yet, so SmartScreen warns about
that.

I *think* you can at least reduce the likelihood of getting those
warnings by signing the installer, but see, e.g.,
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-November/252521.html for the
problems with that. Otherwise, the only way to avoid that warning
AFAIK is to wait until a bunch of other people have downloaded the
installer and SmartScreen has learned it's probably safe.

(Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft these days, but neither Cygwin nor
SmartScreen are anywhere near my day job; I have no inside knowledge
or influence.)