On 2023-04-19 05:30, Carlo B. via Cygwin wrote:
after the 32-bit port of CYGWIN has been obsoleted, I was looking for
a way for installing or upgrading the NOARCH packages, like the
libraries for the mingw cross compilers for example.
Unfortunately, I have not found an existing way for doing it.
Is it possible to do it?
Otherwise, I'm searching for the sources of the setup program for
adding this feature in my local installation. I have seen that setup
utility has a "--arch" option, but it accepts only "x86_64" or "x86",
according to the "--help" printed on screen.
So, I'm planning to add a "noarch" in addition to "x86_64" and "x86"
to this option.
Where can I get the latest development sources of the setup utility?
Thank you very much for your replies.

Although the Cygwin Mingw cross build toolchain utilities are not Cygwin arch dependent, they are Windows arch dependent, and as Cygwin no longer supports 32 bit x86 Windows systems and packages because of vanishing usage and system support, we have been told that it is unlikely that maintainers will update mingw64-i686-... cross build toolchain utilities and libraries targeting 32 bit Windows.

As 32 bit Windows systems are no longer getting security updates, recommendations for similar legacy systems include running them in VMs with access to update executables and libraries blocked.

                                -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry