Am 07/10/2023 um 14:47 schrieb Dr Bean via Cygwin:
On Sat, 07 Oct 2023, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin wrote:

Am 07/10/2023 um 10:23 schrieb Dr Bean via Cygwin:
I am memorializing this for my own benefit here.

Benefitting fromhttps://eng-blog.iij.ad.jp/archives/12576
I see that I don't need to change any envars, but only fonts.

The default Lucida Console font renders CJK as half-width chars, on
this PC with 3 Windows language packs.

With MS ゴシック, Japanese かな and 漢字 look good.
Traditional Chinese ㄅㄛˋㄆㄛˋㄇㄛˋand 漢字 look good.
Korean 한글 doesn't look good. It looks like they're
half-width characters drawn with the space for one full-width
character.

I wonder if this is a problem with the Korean language pack.

Please describe the context of your observations (preferably a test case);
do you have an issue inside the Cygwin Terminal?
Thomas
All mintty contexts. Viewing this email in an SSH session in screen
to a remote tmux session on freeshell.org, writing this reply in vim,
and changing the mintty font option from ,

Font=Lucida Console
Font=MS ゴシック

the above CJK characters change appearance from half-width to full-width,
except for the Korean 한글, which doesn't change appearance.

Attaching to the tmux session on freeshell, sshing in from my
phone with Termius, the characters don't change, of course.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the default mintty font
option of Lucida Console. It looks good.

I am on the lookout for a good font for viewing korean 한글, so I
don't have to magnify the screen to read it.

By the way, thanks for mintty. It is a joy to use.

Judging by the name (which has Katakana characters), MS ゴシック is a Japanese font, so maybe it simply does not have any special Korean ideographs and the Windows font fallback mechanism substitutes some unsuitable font. You should try to find a specific Korean font, I doubt MS ゴシック was provided by the Korean language pack. I could try to reproduce the issue if you tell me which font it is. As far as I know, the CJK names are only used with respective language packs installed, otherwise the same font can be addresses by an alternative name. You could also look up the font filename (in the Windows Fonts folder) to identify it. Thomas