On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Tim May wrote:

> Physics-wise, it's a jiveass fantasy. No way are there "micro-strips"
> readable from a distance in today's currency, and very likely not in the
> next 20 years. (I don't dispute that a careful lab setup could maybe
> read a note at a few meters, in a properly-shielded environment, without
> any shieding between note and detectors, and with enough time and
> tuning. But a wad of bills, folded, stuffed, and with little time to
> make the detection...an altogether different kettle of fish.)
>
> Further, placing the notes in a simple aluminum foil pouch, or a wallet
> with equivalent lining, would cut any detectable signals by maybe 30-50
> dB.

That solves the theives problem :-)  And you wouldn't need a wad, that's
the whole point.  You'd just need 1.  It could transfer money just like a
smart card.

But I'll grant it's science fiction at this point.  Maybe a smart card
that has the weight of a gold coin with some thickness to it would work
better.  For the filthy rich, make the outside real gold!  The rest of us
can use brass.

I still think the basic problem is simple - how do you trust the bits?  If
the actual computations are done inside a secure box, most people will
trust it.  There will always be people who try to beat the system, but
it'll take a lot of technology, and they'll do it often enough to get
caught (most theives simply don't want to pass up a good deal when they
invent one :-)  The actual structure of the box doesn't matter - a floppy
cloth bill or thick coin is still a computer.  Who makes and distributes
it is what matters.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike