On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Tim May wrote:

> And this general line of reasoning leads to a Many Worlds Version of
> the Fermi Paradox: Why aren't they here?

Why aren't they all where? If they were 'here' then they wouldn't be
another world now would they?

> The reason I lean toward the "shut up and calculate" or "for all
> practical purposes" interpretation of quantum mechanics is embodied in
> the above argument.
>
> IF the MWI universe branchings are at all communicatable-with, that is,
> at least _some_ of those universes would have very, very large amounts
> of power, computer power, numbers of people, etc. And some of them, if
> it were possible, would have communicated with us, colonized us,
> visited us, etc.

If they could communicate they wouldn't be different.

> This is a variant of the Fermi Paradox raised to a very high power.

It's muddled thinking raised to a lot of wasted human effort.

ps there are -two- different ways to propose the 'many worlds' model. The
   first being that the worlds occupy the same 'space' but differ in all
   other characters; in other words they are the same cosmos but with
   different 'decision trees'. The other is that they exist in a
   'meta-space' that seperates -all- metrics; that the many cosmos' are
   truly each unique and share nothing (note that this model can also
   contain the first).

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org