Seems the trend is here. We can thank Benetton for providing us with
a playground for live tests of the capabilities and limits of the system.

We have several ways for countermeasures.

Passive countermeasures are shielding or tag destruction. We can locate
the transceiver, then enclose it in a Faraday cage. Or we can locate the
tag and physically remove or destroy it. Or we can irradiate the entire
object with powerful-enough electromagnetic radiation.

Active countermeasures can involve jammers, creating a "RF privacy
sphere". One of the possibilities is a virtual tag that will respond to
read attempt with randomly generated signal strong enough to drown all
other tags in it. Or, to generate forged signatures, making the reader
think it is receiving a genuine signal, over which we have control;
allowing us to change our "wireless appearance" on-fly, even copying the
tag signatures of other people as they pass around, temporarily borrowing
them. The sky is the limit of possibilities here.

Part of the indirect passive countermeasures toy chest is a device that
will alert its owner when the RF read beam is detected, and allow
pinpointing its source.

The changes we are about to expect are moving the battle to another stage.
Let's get familiar with the new weapons about to hit the battlefield, and
devise the appropriate strategies.