On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

> Seems the trend is here. We can thank Benetton for providing us with
> a playground for live tests of the capabilities and limits of the system.
>
> We have several ways for countermeasures.
>
> Passive countermeasures are shielding or tag destruction. We can locate
> the transceiver, then enclose it in a Faraday cage. Or we can locate the
> tag and physically remove or destroy it. Or we can irradiate the entire
> object with powerful-enough electromagnetic radiation.

I think you're over reacting.  RFID tags only have a range of centimeters.
You'd need a huge current to power them from more than 1 meter, and that's
just not going to be out on a beach in a hidden way.

Since the coupling is magnetic a Faraday cage won't work.  But a thin
piece of mu metal would work pretty well.

> The changes we are about to expect are moving the battle to another stage.
> Let's get familiar with the new weapons about to hit the battlefield, and
> devise the appropriate strategies.

It's just for inventory control!  They probably mount it on a tag you can
rip off when you go to wear the clothing.

The stuff you need to worry about is already out there as radio
transmitters being planted by cops in your keyboard.  The battle is
already engaged, how's our defense look against real threats?

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike