Brian McGroarty wrote:
On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 03:42:47PM -0400, Ian Grigg wrote:

It seems to me that the requirement for after-the-vote
verification ("to prove your vote was counted") clashes
rather directly with the requirement to protect voters
from coercion ("I can't prove I voted in a particular
way.") or other incentives-based attacks.

You can have one, or the other, but not both, right?

Suppose individual ballots weren't usable to verify a vote, but
instead confirming data was distributed across 2-3 future ballot
receipts such that all of them were needed to reconstruct another
ballot's vote.

It would then be possible to verify an election with reasonable
confidence if a large number of ballot receipts were collected, but
individual ballot receipts would be worthless.

If I'm happy to pervert the electoral
process, then I'm quite happy to do it
in busloads.  In fact, this is a common
approach, busses are paid for by a party
candidate, the 1st stop is the polling
booth, the 2nd stop is the party booth.

In the west, this is done with old people's
homes, so I hear.

Now, one could say that we'd distribute
the verifiability over a random set of
pollees, but that would make the verification
impractically expensive.

iang