Tom Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>don't know about you over there, but over here in europe we DO tell
>vendors of all sorts of products what to include. for example, certain
>safety features are mandatory in all technical products. certain
>ingredients are illegal in food. and there IS a regulation that controls
>tying of products. the silicon valley holier-than-thou attitude shines
>quite brightly when someone requests that the high-tech industry be
>exempt from regulations that everyone else abides by.
>
>anyone here ever heard of DIN? it's something more narrow than ISO,
>specifying technical norms for products in germany. for example, there
>is a DIN that describes how screws look.

 From a nation that censors the speech of it's citizens, and who would
like to censor everyone, why should anyone be surprised that they
have a standard for screws?

Regards,   Matt-

             C O M P U T E R   I N D U S T R Y   D A I L Y

                           July 18, 1996

  Timely Insights and Analyses of Today's Information Technology News

German Minister Calls on UN to Limit Net

    Germany's minister for family affairs, Claudia Nolte, believes
    that international standards limiting Internet content may be
    required to prevent pornography and neo-Nazi material from
    appearing in cyberspace.  Nolte says, "Because the Internet knows
    no national borders, we will be able to protect youth only through
    international standards."  Nolte further indicated that the United
    Nations might participate in formulating international standards
    to control content...

Subscribe to Freematt's Alerts: Pro-Individual Rights Issues
Send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words subscribe FA
on the subject line. List is private and moderated (7-30 messages per month)
Matthew Gaylor,1933 E. Dublin-Granville Rd., PMB 176, Columbus, OH  43229
Archived at http://www.egroups.com/list/fa/