 Did a friend forward this to you?  Want Bush News sent to you? Sign
 up using the bottom left toolbar @ http://www.georgewbush.com
                            Bush News
                           July 26, 2000
               http://www.georgewbush.com

Contents:
 ~ Top Story: Reaction to VP Nominee, Dick Cheney
 ~ A Note From The Editor
 ~ In The News...
     *1 RAND Report: Texas Leading Education   *2 Fiscal Policy
     *3 What Others Are Saying                 *4 Polling Report
     *5 Cheney's Wife: Writer Commentator
 ~ Make A Difference, Get Involved

_______________________Top Story_________________________

  Quotes on the Cheney selection:

  Governor Bush at the announcement: "...I am proud to announce
  that Dick Cheney, a man of great integrity and judgment and
  experience, is my choice to be the next Vice President of the
  United States.  I can't wait for the delegates at our
  convention next week to hear from Dick Cheney and I will ask
  them to confirm this good man as our party's choice for
  Vice-President.

  "The fact that this outstanding man is willing to serve speaks
  to the power of our compassionate conservative message and its
  promise for our country."

  Full remarks:
  http://www.georgewbush.com/News.asp?FormMode=SP&ID=46

  "Three months ago, when Governor Bush asked me to head up his
  search team, I honestly did not expect that I would be standing
  here today."
   - Cheney, accepting Bush's offer.

  "In very difficult circumstances in the Panama invasion, during
  Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Dick Cheney showed great
  strength of character, great understanding of the challenges."
   - Colin Powell, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and
     frequently mentioned as a possible Cabinet officer if Bush is
     elected.

  "...an excellent choice. Dick Cheney is a person who has respect
  on both sides of the aisle."
   - Sen. John McCain

  "...rock solid. ...absolutely solid as he can be."
   - Former Sen. John Danforth

  "...excellent choice...very formidable...a solid man...a real
  conservative..."
  - William Bennett

  "Dick Cheney brings a level of experience, of background in
  Washington and international affairs..."
   - New Jersey Gov. Christie Whitman

  "Dick Cheney called me in late May before Memorial Day and told
  me that Governor Bush wanted to consider me as vice president.
  ...I said, `Well, Dick, why don't you do it.' I still feel that
  way."
   - Former Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander

  "...the right man at the right time."
   - Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson

___________________A Note From The Editor____________________

  Governor George W. Bush unveiled a newly revised campaign Web
  site, with many new features, making it more personal,
  accessible and informative. Original website features were
  also enhanced as part of the revision.

  Details:
  http://www.georgewbush.com/News.asp?FormMode=TS&ID=0

  Visit the website:
  http://www.georgewbush.com

  Check Out These New Features On GeorgeWBush.com:

  Live Online - Never before offered by a presidential campaign
                Web site, Live Online features an interactive
                radio interview twice a week. Can't make the live
                show?  All interviews will be archived online!

        GWBTv - The GwB Television Network is on the air! View
                video clips of George W. and watch any of the
                three channels that are available, including "On
                The Issues", "Supporters Speak Out" & "Speeches".

    myGeorgeW - This new feature will allow you to log on and
                create a personalized profile to quickly access
                information that is most important to you.

 Daily Trivia - A lighter side to the campaign trail.  Answer the
                daily question correctly and you could win one of
                many George W. Bush prizes.

_________________________In The News_________________________

*1    *** RAND STUDY: Texas A National Leader In Education ***

                 RAND STUDY: TEXAS CITED AS NATIONAL
                            LEADER IN EDUCATION

  AUSTIN- According to a RAND study released today, education
  reforms implemented in Texas have resulted in some of the
  highest achievement gains in the country.

  Texas students consistently perform higher compared to groups
  of similar racial, socioeconomic and family backgrounds in
  other states. Texas consistently ranks at the top of almost
  every category RAND compiled.

  The study examined and compared the results from the National
  Assessment of Educational Progress tests, taken between 1990
  and 1996, among 44 states. They judged states according to
  test scores improvement, raw achievement scores and scores
  comparing students from similar demographic groups.

  "I am proud of the results we have achieved in education in
  Texas. As President, I will achieve the same results,
  ensuring that no child is left behind, " said Governor Bush.

  Results from the RAND study show:

  * Math scores in Texas have improved at twice the rate of
    the national average.

  * Texas was second among all states in improved math scores.

  * Texas leads all states in a comparison of students from
    similar socioeconomic and family backgrounds.

  * Texas African-American and non-Hispanic white fourth
    graders ranked first on NAEP math tests in 1996. Texas
    Hispanic fourth graders ranked fifth.

  * The study confirms earlier reports that Texas is one of two
    states that has made the greatest overall academic gains in
    recent years.

  * Texas students of each racial and/or ethnic group scored
    higher than similar students in states with the same
    demographic characteristics.

  One reason why Texas has been so successful, according to the
  RAND study, has been the higher percentage of teachers who
  are satisfied with their teaching resources.  Governor Bush plans
  to provide teachers with those same resources on the federal
  level through initiatives such as "Reading First" which offers
  training and curriculum for teaching reading to K-12 teachers.

  As President, he will encourage states to set up accountability
  systems by setting high standards, developing their own
  assessments, and testing every student in reading and math. He
  will insist on results and establish a $500 million fund to reward
  states and schools that improve student performance, and make
  sure schools that do not improve are held accountable.

*2                ****** FISCAL POLICY ******

  Texas Under Bush -- Six Straight Years Of Budget Surpluses
  And Rainy-Day Fund Grows Larger
  http://www.georgewbush.com/News.asp?FormMode=NR&ID=892

  Setting The Record Straight: Al Gore Misled - Texas Enjoys
  Record Surplus
  http://www.georgewbush.com/News.asp?FormMode=NR&ID=901

  Governor Bush's Remarks Regarding Al Gore's Attacks In Texas
  http://www.georgewbush.com/News.asp?FormMode=NR&ID=895

  Gore Can't Handle The Truth About Texas
  http://www.georgewbush.com/News.asp?FormMode=NR&ID=897

*3           ****** WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ******

  What Others Are Saying About Al Gore's Attacks On Bush

  "I think Gore would like to have the ring of truth to his
  charges, but that's not good enough.  You actually have to
  have the truth, and he doesn't have it in this case...It's
  clearly deceptive language."
        - Fox News Channel's Jeff Birnbaum

  "[Gore] has been saying the governor's $1.7 billion tax cut
  left Texas without sufficient resources to deal with more
  pressing social needs. Neither he nor aides make mention of
  the larger $3.8 billion schools expenditure."
        - The Boston Globe's Yvonne Abraham and Jill Zuckman

  "Gore is dead wrong' about the state's fiscal condition...
  Only in Washington is such fiscal prudence considered
  mismanagement."
        - State Rep. Rob Junell, the Democratic chairman of
          the Texas House Appropriations Committee

*4              ****** POLLING REPORT ******

  Before we enter the convention phase of the campaign where
  polls tend to jump around a lot, it's a good time to take stock
  of where the race seems to be at this moment (prior to any
  polls influenced by Cheney's selection).

  Since both parties' nominations were wrapped up in mid-March,
  there have been 83 national public polls conducted.  Bush led
  in 76, Gore in 5, and 2 were dead even.  Gore has not led in a
  single poll since the end of March.  Since the 1st of April,
  Bush has led in 61 polls and 2 were dead even.

  There have been 12 polls in July, Bush has led in all of them.
  This despite the DNC airing $20 million in ads in 17 states.
  In fact, the average Bush margin each month in the polls was
  5.5% in April, 5.8% in May, 5.9% in June, and 5.8% in July.
  This race has been very stable since the beginning of April -
  with the margin staying between 5 and 6 points.

  There has only been one survey out since the Cheney pick was
  in the public forum, and in that Gallup Poll Bush was ahead by
  8 points.

*5       ****** Cheney's Wife: Writer, Commentator ******

  Associated Press' Karen Gullo, 07/25/00:

  "Novelist. Political commentator. Magazine editor. Head of the
  National Endowment for the Humanities. Lynne Cheney has worn
  many hats, earning a reputation as an outspoken and
  occasionally controversial conservative who doesn't shy away
  from taking on liberals.

  "Now she'll reprieve another role -- political wife -- as
  husband Dick hits the campaign trail as George Bush's running
  mate. It's a job that the Wyoming native...last took on in the
  late 1970s and 1980s, when Cheney won five consecutive
  congressional elections to the House.

  "She met her future husband in high school where, she jokes,
  his first political campaign involved getting her elected as
  homecoming queen.

  "[Lynne] Cheney, 58, [served for seven years as]...chair of the
  National Endowment for the Humanities, a federal agency that
  provides millions of dollars to support research and other
  programs.

  "Under her tenure, the endowment financed a well-respected
  public television series on the civil war and promoted using
  libraries, museums and other institutions as extensions of the
  traditional classroom.

  "She resigned her post when Clinton was elected and joined a
  conservative think tank, the American Enterprise Institute, as
  a senior fellow.

  "Cheney has authored several nonfiction books about culture,
  education and the humanities. She teamed up with her husband
  on a 1983 book about House speakers, penned two novels, was
  an editor at Washingtonian magazine and a commentator on the
  political talk-show circuit.

  "The Cheneys have two grown daughters, Mary and Elizabeth."

_____________________Making a Difference______________________

  Make a difference!  Get involved and help elect George W. Bush
  our next President of the United States!  Whether forwarding
  Bush News to your e-mail network, signing up to volunteer or
  logging on to contribute - every effort helps.  What will you
  do today?

  Volunteer: http://www.georgewbush.com/volunteer/index.html

  Contribute: http://www.georgewbush.com/contribute/index.html

  Or forward Bush News on to family, friends and colleagues.

  Paid for by Bush for President, Inc.
  http://www.georgewbush.com

  BFP campaign materials, wearables and more
  http://www.georgewbushstore.com